Would driving a Cement truck help as experience?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by b947, Nov 2, 2017.

1. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    san bernardino california
    I already have xlass A license.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's even better.Many construction hires new drivers.

4. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Such a hard decision.

5. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Are we taking hauling cement powder or concrete?

JReding Thanks this.
  6. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    I spoke with him last nigh. Gave me an application i tought it would be the concrete trucks but he said if I was hired I would be driving the big dump trucks so I guess it actually would count as experience in a way.

7. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    I spoke with him last nigh. Gave me an application i tought it would be the concrete trucks but he said if I was hired I would be driving the big dump trucks so I guess it actually would count as experience in a way.

8. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dirty-Low-Walker Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    That makes more sense on your part and the concrete company, i never seen a unexperienced driver start out driving a mixer, too dangerous due to the weight distribution on a mixer and going off road.
    I own my own excavating business over 30 years and had a dump truck business up until 10 or so years ago, take the job driving the dump truck, it will mostly be pit to pit which is easier then going off road, get your experience with that type of truck, if you like the construction field you will see so many different types of trucking that might move to a different type such as dump trailer, walking floor, lowboy...etc.

9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Dude, there is tons of experience to be had in that field.

If you are used to going off road you will never want to bump docks and swing doors anyways. It will be very boring.

Take that job and stay in construction and don’t look back, end dumps, belly dumps, flat beds and low boys, crane trucks and operating machines is all things you could do. I’m trying to get into the crane business myself. Pays a hell of a lot more than simply driving a truck.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Class A trucks (cement tankers and end/belly dumps) are always going in and out of cement plants. If your family friend doesn't have any of their own class A trucks, maybe they can pull some strings and get you hired on at one of the carriers they do business with.

11. b947

b947 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2017
    They start off at 12 cor training and 16 after. So im rethinking that. They do put a lot of hours in but still 16 seems way too low.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.