Would I stand any chance getting a job with my work history?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by oldenoughtoknowbetter, Dec 4, 2011.

1. oldenoughtoknowbetter

oldenoughtoknowbetter Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Yeah, this is probably the most cliche question to ask but I'm 20 years old and trying to figure out what to do with myself. I pretty much have nothing going for me at the moment and the idea of OTR-driving has always appealed to me. I understand that the lifestyle is overly romanticized, but I've always been somewhat of a loner so it seems like a sensible career option for me.

The main thing keeping me from enrolling in a driving school is the fear that I won't be able to get a job because of my crappy work history. I got my first job when I was 17 at a Wendy's and only stayed with it for around six months. I actually took my job seriously until my boss started cutting my schedule down to four hours a week. The thing is that she never gave me a reason for it. I guess she just took my quietness as a sign of disliking her. I decided to quit because I was still in high school at the time and I was young and stupid. Did I give her a two-weeks notice? No. I just stopped going in.

Fast-forward a couple years. I somehow managed to get into some major snack company. I liked the people there, the pay was amazing considering my lack of experience, and all seemed perfect. I was so excited about moving out on my own that I couldn't sleep at night. This led to a bout of insomnia that lasted for a couple months. For the two months I worked at this place, I was living off of 2 - 4 hours of sleep per night. I was at work one night when I decided I "couldn't" go on like that anymore. I felt completely "out of it" and just went home... another retarded move. I probably should have seen a doctor but I guess I was too embarrassed to get help for it. But, then again, I probably would have been diagnosed as bi-polar and could have lost my ability to enlist in the military in the future.

Anyway, I think my problem is that I've been too impulsive. I know I could have pulled through both of those jobs, but I let myself get delusional enough to think "Oh, its not a big deal if I quit". I know that if I could get a trucking gig- I would stick with it. It would be the first job I'd actually enjoy to an extent. I would be rewarded with a sense of independence and the responsibility would definitely wake me up to reality. It's just that I really can't see any trucking company trusting me after screwing up so many times.

I have a clean criminal background and a spotless driving record... all that said, do you think I have any chance in hell of getting a job?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tardis

Tardis Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    banned or retired
    You are only 20 for crying out load. A work history at your age is never wonderful.

More important is your arrest history or lack thereof. No drug or alcohol convictions, especially behind the wheel is key.

Your age is a limiting factor. 21 is the minimum at most places, 25 at some. In any case you are starting at a good time. An over the road career can free you from being a slave to stuff. You could live without the burdens of car payments, rent, cable tv bills and all those other things that make the average person a wage slave.

Enjoy your youth and welcome.:biggrin_2559:

maldaddy and volvodriver01 Thank this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Go for it, there are a lot worse records out there!

5. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    i agree,your work history don't mean much.it's your age.most otr jobs want at least 23.more important thing is to keep your licence clean.

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  6. oldenoughtoknowbetter

oldenoughtoknowbetter Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks, guys. Its nice to know that maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought.

I'll be 21 in May, so I'm not too far off. I've noticed that most of the job postings for OTR positions do require drivers to be at least 23 years old, but some of them add "or recent graduate" under the requirements. I'm going to keep looking into the bigger companies and start making some phone calls to see which ones will put me through training without any up-front tuition costs. I probably have enough money in the bank to cover a cheaper driving school, but I'd rather have a company let me sign a contract so I'll at least know I'll get a job by the end of it.

7. marek4792

marek4792 Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    you wouldnt be able to leave your state anyway until 21, right after you turn 21 try getting on with a bigger carrier with a training program and ride it out for a year or two and then you can make your move to a better company. but the most important thing is that your driving history is squeaky clean and you're physically fit.

8. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    im 23 and my record sucks more.. only a few jobs lasting 3-4 months each then long periods of unemployment(not getting any money just unemployed) since i left school at 18... good thing i lived with parents if not i would had been homeless lol...

yea, good thing my current job didn't really care for work history... i plan on staying here for at least a year to start building a solid work history, then just jump to something trucking related without unemployed time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.