Would this be possible

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by lexydog43, Jan 13, 2008.

1. lexydog43

lexydog43 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2008
    scranton,pa
    I hope this does not sound like a stupid question or something that is just out of this worldbut I am not a trucker yet desperately trying to be hopefully soon so I am not familiar with the probabilities of it even being feasible as I seen on this post so many of you and I know it will be my case have to really watch their budget and tried to eat on the cheap now my thought was is it possible such as I will give one example like frozen burritos that you buy in a 10 pack at the grocery store or hot pockets if you wrap one in tinfoil could you set it on the motor or the stack somehow without affecting the taste of the food or obtaining some carbon monoxide poisoning or something well enough to cook it? Once again I hope this does not sound crazy or stupid or missed some common sense thought that I should have had about it but not having been around trucks very much and not being a driver I am curious if this is something that is possible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steelerfan67

steelerfan67 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Lebanon, pa
    I don't really know if any of that would work, but you could just buy a 60.00 microwave and get an inverter and you have your hotpockets or whatever else you want to heat up. They also have the small lunchbox ovens that plug into the lighter and you can heat alot of things in that.

You question was not crazy, I am sure drivers became savvy years ago to cook things when we did not have all the technology but with everything they have out, you really wouldn't even have to eat in a truck stop.

I do recommend that you at least eat in a truckstop once every few days, it is nice to get out of the truck and sit down and relax and have a hot meal.
    We found the cheapest way to conserve is stock up at Wal-mart

4. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I suggest you go to a big truckstop in your area and go through their store - you will see all kinds of nifty little gadgets that are available to you for everyday living, including all kinds of things for heating up foods.

5. TrooperRat

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually - I hope I'm not breaking some rule here - here is a link to an online store that sells plug in accessories.

6. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Sometimes I put my lunch on the dash over the air vent. In winter this will warm the food substantially. However, it wont cook the food.
    Usually I will do this when I first get in in the mornings, and by lunch time its toasty.

7. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    you brought back some memories before microwaves were in trucks it was a habit of a lot of truckers to heat and even cook by placing food on top of the engines, if you could wrap it in foil you could cook it in fact I once had a cookbook with all kinds of recipes for a "Detroit cooker", today buy a microwave

8. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Heck, a lot of truck stops have microwaves now. Wouldn't surprise me if they let you warm up your lunch in theirs if you, say, bought a coffee or something as a sign of good faith.

I can't see heating ANYTHING near the engine being a safe or practical thing to even think about, let alone do.

9. TrooperRat

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I stood in line not too long ago at a Pilot waiting to use the microwave. I was behind 2 drivers that had brought in their own food to heat up in the store's nuker. The cashier told me it was "Pilot's policy to allow drivers to use their micronukes regardless of whether they food was bought at their store or brought in by the driver".

I dunno, I figure if I was OTR I would be opting for some of the nice gadgets you can use in your truck versus hauling containers with food in it into a truckstop to heat up?!

10. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Engine Block Cooking has been done. I know of older truckers who have done this in the past. They would take chicken or fish, some butter, vegetables and wrap it in foil. Some said they had coat hanger wire in places in the block to make sure it was held in place. Many meals were cooked this way by the savy road warriors. Talking to them gave me an idea that bordered on that. I was stuck on a detail when I was a Police Officer, involving an armed stand off, that lasted 2 days. I was there for 36 straight hours. They started bringing us food later, but I had not eaten all day. My car was idling regularly to keep my batteries up because of the radio and lights. I had 4 military MRE's in my "war bag". I placed the foil pouches on the engine block and heated them that way. I could have eaten it cold, but an MRE Enchilada or Lasagna is much better hot. :biggrin_2559: I would open the package and it would be steaming. I like MRE's better than cold Pizza and warm Pepsi, which was alot of what we had for 2 days.

11. It can be done, if needed.
    Look at this way, the engine block might cook out all the preservatives and junk in most prepared foods now a days..:):)
    I am sure it would do in a pinch.

The post's U have recieved from the Pro's behind the wheel are common sensed ideas.

Now adays cooking and heating foods for yourself may be more "Sanitary" for starters!

And seasoning to your taste buds!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.