Would you buy$15K, 2001 Ram 2500 259K 5.9L 24 valve Cummins

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Ttro447, Aug 1, 2021.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've heard nothing but horror stories of these vehicles, long past their intended duration, still some schmuck wants $15g's for it. Prices of used vehicles has skyrocketed lately, people that don't know anything, fall prey to these vultures, that know full well, the vehicle will cost them thousands to repair, but by then, they are already bilking their next "victim". Don't be that guy, buy a classic truck like I did, can be had for a fraction, IMG_0094.JPG that runs and runs, and you can thumb your nose as you go by the dealer, not a sensor on it! So, no, don't do it.

austinmike, Ttro447, Lazer and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019

Ttro447 and 201 Thank this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    How many times has the automatic trans been rebuilt ?
    They usually only last about 70k behind the diesel . And are very expensive to have rebuilt , usually $2000-2500

and that’s a very high price for a 2wd automatic .
    I assume it’s a 2wd auto because if it was a 4wd with a manual trans that would be in the ad as a big selling point.

You’ve run the car fax ?
    How many owners has it had?
    Has it been registered in states that use salt on the roads?

the big questions I always ask on the phone before I go look at it are
    1: how long have you owned it ?
    2: why are you selling it ?
    3: what’s the carfax going to show ?

if the seller is a flipper or hasn’t owned it several years , that’s a red flag

if they don’t give you a quick logical answer to why they are selling it , that’s a red flag.

if they hem and haw about what the carfax will show , that’s a red flag, usually means they know it’s been wrecked or had the odometer rolled back .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    bzinger and Ttro447 Thank this.
  5. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Hell I agree the whole market let alone used pickups is freakin stupid.

FWIW back in 2014 I sold a 01 club cab long bed 4x4 Cummins & Automatic for $5k.

bzinger, 201, Mototom and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Wouldn't even think about buying that. They're overpriced by more than double unless it's had a serious amount of work done recently. I bought an 05 about 5 years ago for 22k with a mere 72,000 miles on it, and I shouldn't have bought that either.

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    2 or 4 wheel drive?

automatic or manual?

the 24 valve is an ok engine not as good as a 12 valve.

do a dyno and get a blowby at the same time, you can’t do a blowby test without it being on a dyno

>>>>>>>vapor out of the vent tube isn’t blowby <<<<<

there are a bunch of issues you can have with that year, the plus is the rear disc brakes but that truck is $6k over it should be.

automatic? It is a 47re and they are week, even rebuilt they don’t last, if it never was rebuilt, knock off a couple grand for just that, I spent $8k on my last rebuilt 47re and it was truly bullet proof but that truck was totaled out last year.

8. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    That’s my issue used to these 24valve trucks in decent condition 4wd would run ya 5-8K all day long.
    Then all of a sudden it’s like people thought they were made of gold. Right now I bet on eBay some hack wagon is trying to sell a pulled motor for 2-4K when I can go to any local yard and get it for a grand or two.

The next truck I buy will be a mega cab 03-6 model just because.

Ttro447 and Caterpillar Cowboy Thank this.
  9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    My 2013 ended it for me and any new Dodge purchase ever through Chrysler's corporate and how they handled themselves during warranty work.
    Local dealership's warranty service ended any future Dodge newer than a 02 24 Valve, they made it quite evident I'm gonna be working on my own.

Current stupidity and craziness is what's keeping me from turning the 2013 Dodge into a LBZ Duramax and a 90's squarebody for work.
    I don't need to pretend my pickup is a semi truck anymore, if I'm hauling anything more than a skid steer or mini I'll just take a big truck I've got a couple to choose from!

Automatic and Comfort!

Ttro447 Thanks this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I want an 05 or so mega cab, long box, manual. Until a few years ago you couldn't get a mega cab long box factory, I don't recall where it was but there was a dealer or shop somewhere making them.

Mototom Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    No. Not worth it. That would still be on the high end of a 24v converted to a P pump

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.