Would you do business at a truck stop that charged for parking ?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by RickG, Jan 1, 2010.

How do you feel about truck stops charging for parking ?

1. *

Doesn't bother me .

30 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. *

I will stop there for fuel only

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. *

It's a ripoff . I'd never stop there

56 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. *

I would park there if noplace else was available .

61 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. corneileous

corneileous Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Podunk, OK
    If Im not lookin for a place to stop, I wont bring my business there even if its one of the places my fuel optimizer says to get fuel.

Now, if I know that I'll be staying there a while waitin on a reload for example and we have to by fuel or spend money in their shop, then I will stay there but as I said, If I have no reason to stay there, I'll go elsewhere. I refuse to pay or be forced to pay for something else for a spot to park in for "free".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I refuse to park anywhere that charges. Like we don't have enough expenses paying almost double for everything.

You got to remember in the past, everything was cheap, the coffee was free.
    Now every greedy store owner tries every ploy to maximize their profits. I'm tired of this Lexus, I want a Mecedes.

Tell him to do like rest and jack the price up $2 and offer a sale at a $1 off. We only feel half screwwed that way! :biggrin_25523:

4. TruckerDude53

TruckerDude53 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Buckeye, AZ
    My company told me to meet another driver at the Traveler's Travel Plaza in Weed, CA swap trailers. Ok, met him at 8:30pm spent the night there. Scaled in the morning, went in to pay and was told I also owed $10 for parking for the night. No sign as you drive in telling you it was pay parking. He told me the parking was for customers only.. I held up the scale ticket I just paid $9 for. He said that went to the scale company not to him. Rather than get even more frustrated with arguing with him, I paid and walked out. In retrospect... I never should have paid... it was a ripoff. I was just lucky he didn't want $1000 for the night. So, avoid the Traveler's Travel Plaza in Weed, CA.

5. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
  6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Chex Truck Stop, in Henderson, NC (I-85 exit 220) is on my personal boycott list.

I stopped there one night, tired as hell, parked and went to sleep. A few hours later... *KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*... "#### lot lizards!", I thought. I peeked out and saw flashing lights on a sheriff's car and a deputy putting some guy in cuffs... The pimp perhaps?

Next morning, I woke up and saw signs posted all around me: "You must have a permit to park here"... "Warning, we BOOT! You must have a parking permit!"... "Pay up or die!"...

Come to find out, it was the driver in the truck next to me who went to jail (didn't want to pay for his parking I suppose). And the knocking on my door was an employee of the truck stop, wanting me to pay up for parking.

It's programmed in my GPS now as a way-point: CHEX TRUCK STOP -- DO NOT STOP HERE

7. angeleyesinfl

angeleyesinfl Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    fleming island, fl
    We are team drivers for Werner and our drop yard is there. It will be our first time staying there. Hopefully will be somw what decent.

8. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Let's be honest, the only reason some truck stops charge for parking is THEY CAN, and drivers will pay. Petro, TA and Pilot only charge for parking where parking is limited. If parking charges were to offset cleanup, security, taxes, and such they would charge at all locations. They charge because they have the drivers in need and know how to profit from it. That is also why they charge $2 for a fax and so on, because they can, and we will pay. :biggrin_25516:

9. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    If they charge and don't use the cost of purchase to offset the charge then they can forget about me using them for anything. Well, maybe I'll just park in the fuel line and go in to the potty. *nods and smiles meanly*

10. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    I have no issue for people charging for the use of their private property:biggrin_25525: All the belly aching doesn't change the fact you are using their property and they should be free to recoup the cost's of maintenance however they see fit:biggrin_25514:

11. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i have paid for parking--and find most places offset the charge if you buy $20. of stuff
    sometimes it is the only place with parking or close to the drop---when it is a dump like the one in bolingbrook you kind of hate paying tho

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.