Would you pick up a hitchhiker on your way?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by trucker41459, Nov 22, 2021.

1. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Problem as much chance of being killed in the truck as there is being shot going into a truck stop. If I was a small woman and in the middle of nowhere, no, I wouldn’t. The fact that I’m 6’2” and I feel like I can handle myself, yes. And add the fact that many of you guys can legally carry down there and I would not worry. So far the most offensive thing I had in the truck was a guys smell but it was -30 and cars were going past him like crazy.
    All that being said, I seen a car one night in New Brunswick broken down on the side of the highway. I didn’t get much further past it and seen two young girls walking. I stopped and they said their friend was coming from 2.5 hours away which I thought was insane but there was no way they were getting in the truck. It was a dark highway and I at least convince them to take my reflective vest and a flashlight I had thinking someone would maybe have a chance of seeing them while wearing dark clothes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I guess that’s the other side of it. They might not want to get in with the truck driver or anyone else for that matter.

We had a case in my hometown a few years ago a 17 year old girl ran her car out of gas within sight of a gas station early in the morning on a 4 lane highway. A trucker stopped to help her and ended up taking her down some back roads and strangled her with a zip tie. Google Casey Crowder if you want to read more about it. It’s not always the hitch hiker that’s messed up.

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Thats not the point. Anybody can kick the s#!T out of you and steal your "stuff" why chance it?

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Sorry, but there is no exclusion in the insurance policy for "passengers". While it may be your company policy, as respects not taking passengers, your insurance policy will cover you in the event something happens and a passenger is injured due to your negligence.

Oxbow and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  6. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Hitch hiker never. I did once take a family of 3 who's car had died 30 miles to a gas station ( north Ontario with no cell cover and cold ) but a random ? Maybe 30 years ago but wouldn't even think about it today.

7. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    You might really be helping someone out, by the simple act of giving them a ride. If it was you stranded somewhere, in need of a ride, how would you feel then.

Swine hauler and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Last year I gave a young woman a ride who had a flat and started walking. She had about 7 miles to the next exit and was wearing heels walking on the shoulder. I pulled off and waited for her to catch up. She was scared to death, and I told her how far she had to go to reach a phone, and she just started crying. It was new year's eve around 3PM and she was heading to Portland to be with her family for the night. Her cell phone battery was dead. Gave her my cell and told her to call her dad. She put me on the phone with him, and I told him I had 2 daughters close to the same age and would meet him so he could pick her up. Turned out she was driving from school (Oregon State) to Portland, my regular route, and was happy to give her a ride. I told her dad that all I could think of was one of my daughters being stuck out there with nobody to help. They were grateful. I told him to get her a back up battery flash charger for her phone. He agreed.

JoeB, Dino soar, haycarter and 8 others Thank this.
  9. trucker41459

trucker41459 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2021
    After reading all of your stories, these truly touched my heart. As a new truck driver (which is totally an opposite of life style I used to have), I hesitate giving any ride to anyone on the road. Everyone of you has a great heart and is willing to show the kindness of a stranger no matter if you decide to give a ride or not. Indeed, I agree, we including myself are sometimes afraid of being hurt physically because of our heartfelt kindness. Two nights ago, I saw a lady at mid 50s waiting next to her car for road service almost at midnight. I didn't stop and sometimes wonder how she was doing at such late night. Thank you for all your tips and stories.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Review 392.60

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What would be the odds of 2 serial killers ending up in the same rig?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.