Wrong way fatal

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Doealex, Feb 21, 2020.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Let me expand on that question mark. :)

How does moving to the right take you closer to oncoming traffic when oncoming traffic is to the left?

LoSt_AgAiN, Bud A., LoneRanger and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I was talking about avoiding wrong way vehicle in divided highway.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I hope the driver can get over the mental anguish he must be feeling.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Two part story about evasive actions .. First part I was entering a left hand curve in my pick up when the oncoming car slid across the toad towards me at night . I turned the right to take the ditch and got smoked by the back end of the car in my drivers door . I was banged up but otherwise ok . The young girls had the seat to cushion the impact and were unharmed ..A year later I was out by Dryden Ontario in the slow lane of a passing area . The oncoming car swerved sharply as we met I swerved to the middle lane and caught the right corner of the car as he went by straight into the ditch . My FLD got totalled and his car but he only suffered a broken leg instead of dying from getting hit by a 99,000 lb semi.. so there really is no right answer of which way to swerve if at all.

Bud A., Lonesome, not4hire and 2 others Thank this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Sorry, still not following you. The only oncoming vehicle in that situation is the wrong way driver. In the video they are both in the same lane when the truck driver reacts. Moving either direction will take him away from, not closer to, the wrong way driver.

I would think that the best option in that situation would be to move to the right if possible.

Watching the video closely I don't think it would have mattered which way he moved though. He starts to move left and then the oncoming moves the same direction, mimicking his movement. danm

On a side note I once encountered a 'wrong way driver' on a divided highway. It was a cop with his flashy lights on and he was clearly heading toward me on my right shoulder so I moved to the left lane.

7. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    Okay. I will try to explain myself as best as I can. If the four wheel driver in this situation took an evasive action to his left, both vehicles would’ve met with their passenger-side corners. Hence, both drivers would have a chance of survival.

tinytim Thanks this.
  8. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    That was suicide by truck, he aimed right for that truck!

Bud A. Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, as i was told, you go right, they go right.

so therefore, by going left, and they go right.....there you go...crash.

tinytim and not4hire Thank this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If this happened on an undivided road, the big risk (other than the crash itself) is that, in the absence of video or witnesses, you can end up being held liable for the accident.

tinytim and magoo68 Thank this.
  11. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    Statistically there’s 4 scenarios in this type of accidents.
    1. Both drivers takes evasive action to their left. Both vehicles point of impact is their passenger-side corners.
    2. First driver takes evasive action to his/her left, second driver takes evasive action to his/her right. First vehicle point of impact is It’s passenger-side corner. Second vehicle point of impact is It’s driver-side corner.
    3. First driver takes evasive action to his/her right, second driver takes evasive action to his/her left. First vehicle point of impact is It’s driver-side corner. Second vehicle point of impact is It’s passenger-side corner.
    4.Both drivers takes evasive action to their right. Both vehicles point of impact is their driver/side corners.
    Now tell me which one is safest?:cool:
    PS. There could be other scenarios as well, when one or both drivers don’t take any action. But usually people try to save themselves (unless they are in suicidal mission).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.