Wyoming Road Usage Charge

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheLoadOut, Nov 19, 2020.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

They need to stop hiding word of their vast flying tarantula farms. Sure, they aren't always venemous but most people can't get over how many are able to enter houses via the sewer system.

Crude Truckin' and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I believe you have to be a resident for 5 or 10 years to qualify for the state dividend. I believe the annual fund payment was only $5k a few years ago.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    That would be nice. But the weather there is enough to keep me out.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I think you have to be a resident for the entire year before the date you apply for the fund, and intend to keep living there. Something like that. And my nephew told me he got something like $925 this year. Oil revenues are way down.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Not really a big deal. Many have judgements against them so the state takes them, I honestly haven't seen a big deal about dividend time, just more retail spending. Lots of them also never really remember to apply.

1 year residency. The largest we've ever gotten was just over $2k

That is correct. We actually should have gotten a $2700 dividend in 2018 and $2300 in 2019, but our government took most of them to balance the state budget. They spend like drunken sailors and figured out how to get their paws on the dividend, so it won't be around much longer.

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Nobody around. People that hate being around other people live there. Same in ND.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have a good friend that was born and raised in Elk Mountain. Still has family there. I told him that I went through there on day and it wasn't windy. He called me a liar. Lol. He also told me about the hotel there when he was growing up.
    Back before the Interstate, many big name entertainers came through there and would stop in Elk Mountain to rest. They had a place at/near the hotel called the Garden Spot Pavilion. In the post WWII era many of these big names played the pavilion on the way through and played there often. And for not having anyone living around there, as some say, they really packed them in. Entertainers playing there included Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Les Brown, Lawrence Welk and Louis Armstrong. Also performing were country and western artists like Hank Thompson, Jim Reeves, Tex Williams and Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Would have been something to see.

9. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    While this proposal isn't going to happen us in Wyoming really don't need to do the above as we fully know where the budget problems are coming from.

In Wyoming us individuals and small businesses have had extremely low taxes because we have enjoyed decades of thermal coal and oil and gas paying most of the bills. Unfortunately due to the downfall of thermal coal and the boom in natural gas drilling resulting in a glut of cheap natural gas and lower prices the writing has been on the wall for years in Wyoming.

Even without environmental regulations the economics of thermal coal have been tanking for years now but our spineless legislators keep kicking the need for new revenue can down the road because it will be politically expensive for them to really address.

Basically all our cowardly legislators do is propose some form of additional revenue that they think will sound like it won't hit the locals as much and then it hits the news and then it goes away.

Here is a news story that will describe the states situation better.

For Wyo’s untaxed generations, the 'free ride' may be over

But as the state legislature only convenes in a budget session in even numbered years and they got nothing done this year we will just have extreme budget cuts for the next couple of years.

The Governor is already slashing budgets which means that WYDOT has to cut plowing operations and will limit overtime and will probably not plow anything overnight if we have a rough winter nothing is going to fix this this year.

With the fact that towns like mine only have 3 ICU beds and because those beds cannot be shared between Covid-19 cases and other cases this is the year to slow the hell down and increase your following distances when driving across Wyoming, especially if you have a light road.

As Utah is rationing care and Wyoming ICUs will most likely be full over the next few weeks if you crash this year you simply will not get a normal standard of care if you need to go to the ER.

Even if the Interstate travel lanes are plowed at night the medians most likely will not be and non-Interstates will not be plowed at night and the roadway will only be made passable for drivers who are taking reasonable winter driving precautions.

I apologize that my elected officials being cowards impacts you but please plan for extra time and slow down this year for your own health and safety.

The only thing that made it out of committee related to transportation was increasing the 24 cent fuel tax by 9 cents....we will see if that actually happens.

The state legislature hasn't allocated any general funds to WYDOT in years and the departments revenue has been reduced every year for the past 10 years so they didn't even have the ability to deal with the impacts of normal inflation. Basically our cowardly legislators have known about this problem for 20 years and have refused to deal with it and have been slowly taking money away knowing that the impacts of being underfunded wouldn't show up for years and years.

Now it is catching up to us and the Federal Highway Trust Fund problem will make this a national problem in the next few years.

It will get ugly but it won't only be Wyoming.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    TheLoadOut and Truckermania Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.