Wyoming Slip and Slide - Lessons

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lepton1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I watched this video and thought it a good video to watch for ALL drivers, but especially for NEW drivers. This is I-80 in Wyoming with strong winds (when is it NOT windy in Wyoming?) and slick conditions.

Let's have some comments on what you see happening and how some drivers handle it well and other drivers may not have handled it well.

Please note that where this video is taken there are NO places to safely get off the road for many miles. If you aren't prepared to safely handle conditions like this, you aren't going to be get off the road. You will either have to handle it, or become a dangerous hazard on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You're better off staying at the Truck Stop and not getting out in that.
    That is the verge of not driveable, period. I know...
    I take a run from Denver to Western North Dakota. I go on the east side of the Black Hills. It's much better. I've had others tell me how they have all this experience and they always go through Wyoming. You gotta be kidding. In certain spots on that route, it easily gets like that... I repeat....easily. I know... I live up here....

LGarrison, BigBob410, mhyn and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    Guys following too close for conditions.

Brickwall, austinmike, mhyn and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Get out, throw a set of singles on real quick, and get moving as soon as possible........or at least that is what strikes my mind.
    Edit to add: Watch traffic behind you carefully while throwing chains so as not to get run over.

BigBob410, Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Guys always follow too closely in Wyoming. Could be a sunny cloudless day in the 70s and within an hour it’s just like that. The best route through Wyoming is south on 25, west on 70, nw on 6, and north on 15. You’ve added maybe 75-100 miles to your trip. But #### if that ain’t worth it.

stwik, BigBob410, Finfn1372 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You're so right! :laughing-guffaw:
    And whatever you do. Under conditions like that? Do not get out of your truck. Even if you could pull on the shoulder. Don't get out. Too much of a chance someone hitting you. Remember.... it's ice. Vehicles slide out of control easily.
    Chains? They won't last all day. When they break. They start damaging your truck.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    My first question is who the heck goes camping in that kind of weather

9. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Back in my day if I got caught in those quick storms I would head out of the main traffic lane that has been iced over, sometimes just riding the side of the lane(fog line not zipper line) would put you on fresh snow that has better traction, sometimes it got so bad that straddling that breakdown lane half way would give some traction. Just always be looking in those mirrors for the fast drivers who love buzzing you.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Those conditions aren't bad at all compared to my last 3 or 4 times across there.
    I'm sitting on 70 right now doing my 10.
    A lot of that is caused by some stooges in mega's that are terrified to be there in the first place.
    This puts everyone at risk.
    See no need for chains.
    If you're that scared, just stop. You drive for a mega. You're load of paper towels is not that important.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    +1
    Miami area extreme lovers I guess..)))

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.