X15 Misfire on All 6 Cylinders

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by north60, Aug 13, 2021.

1. north60

north60 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Ive got a pair of Cummins X15 Performance engines throwing the following codes,
    5895 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #1 - Root Cause Not Known
    5896 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #2 - Root Cause Not Known
    5897 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #3 - Root Cause Not Known
    5898 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #4 - Root Cause Not Known
    5899 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #5 - Root Cause Not Known
    5911 - Engine Misfire Cylinder #6 - Root Cause Not Known
    5914 - Engine Misfire for Multiple Cylinders - Root Cause Not Known

Units haul bulk fuel. No drivability issues.

One unit has been overhauled. The other unit has had a valve set and exhaust pressure sensor replaced. Inspected wiring for any shorts/opens to the exhaust pressure sensor. Both started this about a day apart from each other.

Anyone ever see this before?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Well its not a good sign that all 6 have logged. Without digging in one could suspect fuel contamination issues. I wouldn't worry quite yet. Get it in the shop and run the IPT test and see what the results are? A fail in any range would identify a suspected issue with an injector. If testing comes back all good I would perform a injector reset and put it back to work.

I have also seen sofware revisions for all misfire faults on certain versions. Check for revision and update ECM software if any apply.

This is all assuming you have no other fuel system faults logged.

lwlevens, pushbroom, Magoo1968 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    That code is for missfire diagnostics based off exhaust gas pressure changes.

Last time I phoned into cummins about it, there was supposed to be a new flash coming that was less sensitive to throw the code. The code usually throws when idling between 900 and 1100 rpm. If you idle higher or slower it is not supposed to come on as easy.

If it comes active while driving there may be an actual issue.

spsauerland and Goodysnap Thank this.
  5. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    We have a customer with ten or more x15 engines that have all been logging these codes,(bulk haulers), snap shot shows that it happens when in PTO mode at 1100 rpm, tried a new exhaust gas pressure sensor on one just to see if any change, nope, still logs codes. we just clear the codes and let them go for now, will re-cal them when this new flash file comes out, hope that will fix it.

6. north60

north60 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    i updated one of our units throwing these codes, and it still comes back. I havent tried the injector reset yet. Ill do it today to one of these two units.

7. Themoose

Themoose Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2023
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the trucks. My best guess would be exhaust gas pressure sensor causing a skip in the pedal while accelerating setting off the misfire code. Change the 200$ sensor first would be a start.

8. north60

north60 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Cummins ECM calibration update fixed them. Also had DPF/EGR delete fix one of them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.