Yellow - how is it?

Discussion in 'YRC' started by LoneDriver, Jul 31, 2007.

1. LoneDriver

LoneDriver Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2007
    The Golden State
    Any Yellow drivers on here?
    Let us know what is like to work for Yellow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gio

Gio Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis area
    Am a road driver with Yellow, working out of Saint Louis. Have driven for many companies and Yellow is the best overall. UPS is better at training and keeping equipment up, drove for them as a seasonal driver several times and they finally offered me full time after I was already on at Yellow, I stayed at Yellow more laid back and no uniforms for road drivers. Drove for Roadway in Chicago back in 96, they were good back then, imagine they still are, but I was forced onto a team and quit. Also have driven for Werner, Jeffco, CTL, Burlington, Air-Ride, McKenzie Tank Lines, Driver Power pulling for central transport, fleet owner at Landstar Inway, Celadon, Cannon Express, All Star, worked as a spotter in a railyard, and spotter at an automobile factory, probably forgot some, and US Xpress.

4. White Line

White Line Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Lexington KY
    WHich did you like best?

5. Gio

Gio Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis area
    I like Yellow the best, I will stay there until I quit driving. Presently I am laid-off and am working at Pro-Drivers until Yellow calls me back. Pro-Drivers supplies drivers to different companies. I am doing a local run back and forth to an auto factory and paid by the hour. Yellow is negotiating a new contract with the Teamsters right now and is probably why I am laid-off. I am low on seniority since I have only worked there for two years.

6. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    I worked for Yellow for 17 years out of Richfield Ohio. Can not say anything bad about them. Pay was good. I run Indie, Charlotte, and upstate New York. The last 5 years I was there I run Buffalo turns. I retired in 1992

7. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    WOW....all those jobs in 13 years,Did you ever let the seat get warm before you hopped to the next one.....LOL

8. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Thats how it is folks. I recommend you younger drivers to get on a union job and stay there,you will be better off. I drove for Roadway when I was 25 and should have stayed there. I ran local peddling freight,dock to dock,had I known what line haul was,I would have been happy and stayed. I would be retiring with two pensions instead of just ssi. Say what you may about unions but those guys are making the moolaa,don't kid yourself like I did. Thats why he had all those jobs trying to find the best one,look where he ended up,with yellow,and he will get called back.

9. LoneDriver

Jul 21, 2007
    The Golden State
    Thanks guys for posting your experience. Looks like Yellow gets a thumbs up from many.
    Would like to hear from current Yellow drivers too... Where are you based? What do you like? and don't like?

10. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are in a position to handle the lay-offs for the first few years until you gain enough seniority, then it's a great job. As a road driver, you put your stuff in the truck, drive from point A to point B, get your stuff out of the truck, and you're done. Actually, there's a little more to it than than that, but not much.

11. LoneDriver

Jul 21, 2007
    The Golden State
    How many years have you been with Yellow?
    And about how many are "the first few years"?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.