Yet another blasted question from a rookie O/O (God help us all!)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, this is something you should get used to, just about everything slows down. Flatbed is so dependent on the building industry. If you must run, why not park the flatbed, grab a cheap van trailer ( dime a dozen) and run some van freight. It probably won't pay like the flatbed, which has got to suck in the winter, but you'll keep the wheels turning. I used to go to FL. every winter, and as a truck driver, I noticed, it got to a point, somewhere in Georgia, I think, you could just tell the trucks that never go north of that point, with their chrome frame bolts and all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You obviously want to slow down for winter. That’s understandable. But best to stay steady if you can. Slow and steady, gets it done, and major shutdowns, or delays never seem to happen as often as anticipated. I ran Mi - Wi 2400-2800 miles for 7 yrs, only had a few major delays due to weather. Still made it through running back roads, when needed. It’s never as bad as it seems. Today was a good example. 8” of snow, wrecks everywhere. I made it on time, back home safe. Slow and steady.

D.Tibbitt, OLDSKOOLERnWV, 201 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i normally take it pretty easy 1st quarter. gives me some time to go threw the truck and fix every little thing i can find and get other things done i don't have time to do the rest of the year. for me typically nothings paying good enough to be worth fighting the cold for that time of the year anyway. depends on the year though if there is really good paying loads to haul ill run.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s nice to have a shop!! I have to run south, work outside, near the parts store. Lol

loudtom and brsims Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The other way around here if running north, I hate running north in the summer, much better trucking and a lot easier on the truck in the winter.

brsims and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You said it's right there.

If the weather is good go make money. If the weather is bad stay home. If you have repairs to do get them done. If you find good paying loads take them. Keep going but do what you said in your own writing.

If your commodity is paying less, why would you run around the clock for less money and put all that wear on your truck?

If the weather is severe why would you risk taking your own truck out in it? You can have the best insurance in the world, but I would not even want to think about what you would have to go through just simply because you went out one day in extreme weather... for less than you normally make when the weather is nice.

I think that the old adage is that you work hard when the weather is nice so that you don't have to work so hard when the weather is not so nice.

My 2 cents.

brsims and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Keep running, head south or west . Just take your time be more mindful of conditions . Anything can happen at any given time good weather or bad just them wheels turning.

Rideandrepair and brsims Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Run smart.

Bad weather comes in waves. Plan accordingly. Run North South North South if you can. East and West only if they’re paying you more than North South.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Nothing north of I10............more like it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd call up local industrial generator suppliers and make sure they have my contact info.

Keep an eye on the spot boards, there will be oh *%^$ loads that pop up from time to time.

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.