Yet another wannabe- but with different questions

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by hertfordnc, Feb 16, 2019.

1. hertfordnc

hertfordnc Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Ok, i think my questions are different.
    I am 58 years old, in good shape, like driving, like physical work. I have two small boys and my wife is a teacher.
    I am looking to retire from my federal job and start a new career in trucking but i want to surge during the school year and take summers off to travel with my family.
    Been looking at hotshot business for years.
    I can throw $20,000 or so at the business to avoid a truck payment.
    Target income is something over $45k
    So, is this possible?
    Are there alternatives to the dually/flatbed option?
    What about the Sprinter van gigs? I see lots of jobs in my area for Sprinter O/O's but they don't say much about pay.

Are there niche markets for an older guy with better than average communication and customer service skills?
    If i don't have a truck payment then how much could i reduce monthly cost in the summer and still keep the business viable?

THanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Deliver packages in your personal vehicle for Amazon, saw this on TV. Retirees were doing it for extra income.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Best advice I can give is, DON'T,,,DO,,,IT. Most trucking gigs are family UNfriendly. Summer is the busiest time for trucking, and you'll rarely get home. I've found, there's no such thing as a part-time or casual trucking job. They all require 110%. Don't do that to your family, please. Trucking ruined my family, and I'm not alone.

Ragman54, Badmon and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  5. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Hotshot would be perfect for you, if you have your own authority you can work when you want and take the loads you want. $20k is low but it's enough for a decent truck no trailer though, I move cars within 200 miles home every night 5 days a week $45k is easily doable working 10 months a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: Recruiting/advertising.
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm in NC just South of Norfolk.

The logic behind the $20,000 truck is i could find a way to pay cash. no payments in the off months. Keep cash for repairs- much better than the stress of a pmt of a $60,000 truck

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Mount Union, PA
    I'll have 6 years running cars in July 2019. I am a retired PA state employee with a nice retirement income and my wife has worked full time during this time period.

I have a 2011 Silverado 3500 purchased used and paid off after two years. I had 20K as down $ and 26 1K monthly payments. I used the business loan to buy a new 3 car trailer. Its been paid off for a while, kinda (keep reading).

I got my own authority and do my own dispatch. The last annual ins premium was 9K. I have a clean record. The other large costs are fuel, about 33% of every dollar I make and maintenance on the truck and trailer. Combined maintenance cost for truck and trailer in 2018 was over 10K. Maintenance cost is already 4K+ since 1/1/2019.

Current business incurred debt during the 5.5 years is about 27K. Cost about 1k monthly in payments. Others monthly recurring payments are about 350.00.

Having shared the above, I transported cars, on average, 10-12 days per month in 2018 and earned, gross, about 5K per month. I cherry pick the best paying loads. Of course, more days would equal more pay.

Now, take out the cost. I let you do that math. Also, I am not feeding a family, so what and how I do it, is fine.

In MHO, the single biggest mistake I have made, was not getting at least 15K in the bank and maintaining that amount, to cover the annual ins and maintenance cost. This amount would have all, but eliminated the need to access the loan to cover ins and maintenance cost.

Everybody is different. And as they say, "I did it my way."

I've seen a lot of our Great Country with others paying for the trips.

Keep learning, have a way to keep cost down, have a saving account, and get your own authority if you do move forward. Thanks, PK

GoBucks43228, CJ58 and Yelsew Thank this.
  8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio

9. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks, that's a lot of good information. My idea of part time would be killing myself from January to June and shutting down until the kids go back to school

That's the big driver for this plan, to augment my income in an abbreviated year.

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I was 53 when I started. A few retired guys are doing this works out really good as you can turn the key off anytime. I stay pretty much local focusing on $ 400 to $800 a day. Mainly doing work for utility companies and small businesses needing expedited freight moved. Manly light weight stuff and waiting for the rate con to appear in my email or the phone call. Trying to keep my customers aware of my whereabouts to make their job easer. Good luck brother, I also spent time at Lejune in the 80’s not sure but your screen name hertfordnc looks like you are close to the bases. You might get a hookup there but military freight most of the time moves long distances. Another source would be fabrication shops.

hertfordnc Thanks this.
  11. hertfordnc

Oct 30, 2013
    I work at the Coast Guard base in Elizabeth CIty

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.