Yo help me OUT !!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shutupandkeeptruckin, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree, I've seen a bunch of them on trucks for sale. It is dangerous and stupid not to fix it. If a dealer or a fleet selling the truck like that, should really be investigated for falsified documents.

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good catch. Don't drive the truck until it's fixed. Period.

And, since something as important as the steering was neglected, take a good hard look at the rest of the truck.

SL3406, FlaSwampRat and clausland Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That part wears out on Volvo trucks a lot. I had 2000 Volvo had to replace the that part like 3 times, they get to much play. I never seen one so bad the rubber seal was missing.

5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Like others have said, good catch. Two things I always looked at first when assigned a different truck, steering & brake components. Either of these failing = a very bad day, yet often overlooked as it requires one to get down under the truck.

Was coming out of Cali one time (a good thing), loaded with some sort of fruit or vegetables bound for Montreal, come into MO, was running behind and got pulled into the Joplin chicken house stall for the equivalent of a now level 1. The nice officer there advised that he wanted to check my brakes. I said listen, they're fine. I just came over the mountains and it's my ##* if they're not. He replies, gotta check em anyway. An hour later, yeah another hour lost, he advised that you were right they're fine.

Seriously though, steering & brake components are nothing to neglect, man you gotta check em out, and know what you're looking at, and for.

stayinback and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Any competent shop can fix that but I wouldn't be driving it until it is.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Thats right- Just did ALL new Chambers and slacks on the tractor all positions-Whether they needed em or not (3 axles can springs were very tired and wore).....

Also, Don't take your fifth wheel for granted- Just rebuilt that too, Dont buyt new unless top plate is worn and cant hold grease.... $250 for complete build.

clausland Thanks this.
  8. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    You should be standing next to it! Umbrella drink and cigar.

9. jeastonjr

jeastonjr Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Weymouth,Ma.
    Something tells me the front end needs a off the ground inspection. just my 0.02

10. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Yup. Check the king pins, spin the front tires to check for wobble, listen for bearing noise, check the tires for balance, look at spring hangars, check the hubs, check the air lines,...all the things that, at the least, will cost you money, and at the worst will cause a mechanical failure and an accident.
    A lot of companies will slack off on maintenance when a truck is going in for trade. Don't let their neglectful ways cause problems for you.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.