You are fueling up with diesel, how full do you go?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    When the nozzle clicks off, if I pull it out a bit and top the tank off I can get in another 10 gallons or so. What are the downsides to filling the tank to the top?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Right to the lids. Never had a problem. I do, however, typically fuel in the middle of the day or in the morning prior to starting my day, rarely at night when I'm pulling in for the evening.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The trucks I have that sit long periods I push in as much fuel as I can. Keeps moisture buildup down. This new Pelosi fuel goes sour with microbes faster than ever. Only downside i’ve experienced is during hot summer days some fuel may expand out of the breather vent. If the fuel being returned doesn’t get hot enough to expand out the breather with that extra 10 gallons you get in and can get you another hour down the road i’d say no worries.

W923, Crude Truckin' and Labrador Thank this.
  5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Only issue I've heard of is topping up when cold early morning/late night and a little expansion of the fuel as the day warms up.

I fill till it comes up to the bottom of the filler neck if the neck goes into the tank, Or an inch or so down if the neck bottom is flush with the top of the tank. That way it is less likely to slosh and push out the vent.

Magoo1968, Labrador and RockinChair Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Used to be, fuel was so cheap, you'd spill the rest on the ground to get an even number and keep the dust down. I don't recommend that today, generally, 90% full should take care of any expansion.

77fib77, W923, Labrador and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    If you needed to start a thread to get a answer . Then this might be a big challenge for you but give a try ,Look on the tank it’s stamped on a plate it give’s you the rated max capacity

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Many times when I fueled I was fueling according to a fuel solution based on where I was. That and many times I was hauling loads so heavy part of the dispatch was to not have full tanks when I loaded. I guess maybe 60% - 70% of the time when I fueled I was filling the tanks. I would start the pumps go wash my windshield headlights and walk around my truck doing a quick check. I never really played that game of getting all I could because all I had to do was call my fleet manager and get a fuel solution if I felt like I might get low. Besides with all the other things going on measuring out a full tank was never really high on my to-do list. I filled, filled up my reefer tank, and got the heck off the fuel islands so the guy behind me could start fueling.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

But the stated tank capacity doesn't tell you how many gallons are in each tank when you start fueling.

flood, JB7, gentleroger and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Your exactly right and that’s where common sense enters in to the equation and
    And there seems to be a lack of that from the title of this thread

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So one cold morning (40ºF) I have time to fuel up long before I went off to my pickup. I fill my tanks, I always leave 2 inches from the filler. Next to me is a 'genius' who filled up his tanks to the brim. He goes off and parks, I park next to him on his right, then go into the sleeper. I wake up to the smell of diesel, I can't get out of my truck because there is a puddle of diesel from his trucks going under mine, and the temp was (75ºF).

201, Labrador and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.