You are fueling up with diesel, how full do you go?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    You have some valid points some I agree with some of them others not so much but they are valid
    There reasoned I feel this is a stupid question because the OP surely has had to fill up his personal vehicle in his life .. was doing that a struggle too . I would think not so what is this such a struggle it’s the same thing
    My thought is if you have to ask a question like that you really shouldn’t be driving a truck

BigR, Diesel Dave and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I deal with a lot of stupid questions as trainer. I just keep reminding myself it's better they ask the stupid question and get the correct information than just guess and do something really dumb like putting both ifta stickers on the same side of the truck.

BigR, Albertaflatbed, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I know you do and like I said everything you said is very valid .. I give you credit there is no way I could put up with the stuff you have to as a trainer
    I don’t have near the patience or temperament

BigR, Diesel Dave and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In every truck I've had the fuel gauge does NOT correspond closely to the fuel capacity except when full. Usually the difference is smallish but sometimes it is quite a bit. I had a circumstance for years at one job where I was using the bottom half of the fuel gauge every night at work and learned exactly how it worked because on occasion I drive almost all night with the low fuel warning light lit up. I have never ever run a truck out of fuel, never. For example my Volvo only seemed to measure fuel on one side of the truck. In my Freightliners when the fuel gauge showed 1/4 remaining, there was 1/2 of the gallons still in the tanks. When a driver gets into a different truck the first couple of times he fuels that truck he needs to compare what the dashboard fuel gauge shows him with the number of gallons he is able to put into the tanks. Lots of new drivers just blindly take things as either absolute TRUTH or "no information can ever be reliable."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  6. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    I’m on the unassigned board so I’m never in the same truck twice. So I don’t fuel at all, haven’t in 18 months…most liked at the company I’m told.

7. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Used to use a yard stick to measure a square fuel tank , guage didn't work , or just shine a flash lite in it , filled it up in the morning at quitting time , so never a big issue

tscottme and Albertaflatbed Thank this.
  8. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    Good info Thank you

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Not entirely true. If the tanks are square, yes, but round tanks, not so, I think. Ever wonder why the gauge drops so fast after 1/2 tank?

tscottme and Last Call Thank this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Depends what state I’m filing up in..
    Oak Grove, MO and it’s overflowing onto the ground..Anywhere California or PA full tanks equals somewhere after the low fuel warning goes off on my dashboard :)

tscottme and gentleroger Thank this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    My gauge has been at 1/2 for the last 400 miles.

Concorde, tscottme and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.