You can't make this stuff up.....

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by bad-luck, Dec 3, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    theres loads paying 15 bucks a mile headed to the northwest currently. since you dont work for cheap these loads are perfect for you. time to grab that iron and go to work driver... oh wait i forgot.... ur scared of throwing a couple chains .. nevermind. we will have to call a driver that isnt afraid of a little work :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's enough bickering.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I tell all my trainees "chains are to get you out of trouble, not to get you into it".

I recommend that they sit out any chain restriction until they at least have a winter under their belt. I do this mainly because I'm training guys who will almost never get west of Omaha. Heck, I don't even carry chains with me. If you need chains where I run, ya done messed up.

The problem with this advice is that people hear the words without taking in the meaning. They pass it on until chaining up becomes a Cardinal Sin. It's the same thing as blind side backing. You avoid blind side backing when you can because it's a little harder and generally takes longer than getting flipped around to the sight side. There's nothing wrong with it when you need to, but "we recommend against it where possible" quickly becomes "my company doesn't allow us to blind side" in the driver's mind.

5. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Do you teach them how to put the chains on? I know so many guys who run with them loose and do a pile of damage to the truck, the tires and also the tires.

6. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    I talk about it briefly, then refer them to YouTube. I only have them for 6 days, so spending an hour on something they won't use for years isn't a good use of time.

7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    YouTube shows some things to avoid but it’s not the answer. I think every trucking company should be having the guys come into the yard and showing them hands on. And not just once, every fall.

8. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    I would be pissed if I had to do that.

In 12 years of driving I've gotten west of Kansas once. I have never carried chains on the truck. Blowing a half day of my time getting instructed on a skill I don't use is a surefire way to make me cranky.

I have no problem with your thought process for guys that use chains, but most of my guys will never need them.

alds Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.