you guys are tough

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 4noReason, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jdiesel3406

jdiesel3406 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Philly area
    OMG yes! I weekly had to unload 150-350 tires (worked at a tire shop). We were always the last stop and poor driver would look like he was ready to die in the summer time. I would always let him rest in the sleeper and I would handle the unloading but I feel ya, can't imagine doing that all day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chicknwing

chicknwing Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Back in the day when I ran OTR we delivered to the Giant warehouse outside DC. As an O/O I had to eat the cost of the lumpers. $400 to unload the trailer. Most times I did it myself. Pull the freight out with a manual pallet jack then break the pallet down and restack on 4 or more pallets. Rinse and repeat 23 times. Glad those days are over. Hand unloads stink. When I first started OTR work I hauled Dollar General freight, floor loads, had to handle every piece and put it on rollers. Glad I was a young buck back then, I don't know if my body could handle one of those loads now...

4. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    I hear alot about unloading tires,They are ROUND ! Trust me they Roll fine! :biggrin_25523:

5. jdiesel3406

jdiesel3406 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Philly area
    Yes, they do. Especially the little 14 inch donuts. But when you have to unload 150+ commercial or off road tires its no fun, especially when they are at the nose of the trailer. It can always be worst though :biggrin_25511:

6. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    How about rolling 400 lb.+ drums, chlorine cylinders or Chlorine tons. Most water treatment plants aren't very well equipped so you always seem to be rolling crap up hills, through grass etc. I dread water treatment plants more than any other place.

7. sleep7

sleep7 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Not nearly as bad as some mentioned already. However I delivered to rite-aid stores and always seemed to get the loads that were all hand unload. 24 pallets and every piece had to be touched. The main issue I had with that wasnt touching every piece but it was the constant bending over to hand the store employees the product. I already had lower back issues and after a week I was in pain everyday. Only could handle about a month there. If every store was a lift gate and pallet jack delivery I would of stuck with it tho.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    "Can you roll those into the garage"?:lol:

It does at my place.

9. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    I always wonder how the guys I see hauling local do it. I haul local, but it's a flatbed. Everything is too heavy to lift, so I load/unload myself in our yard and let somebody else do it elsewhere. Since it's all local tarping takes too much time, so I don't have to do that either. Pretty much as easy as it gets.

I see guys in vans hauling skid after skid of steel parts to the back of the trailer so a forklift can reach them and wonder why they don't just use flatbeds.

Of course the other day I did have to strap florescent light bulbs (the 8 foot ones) on top of a load of tractor draw bars, and we get skids of boxes and plastic parts that really aren't wrapped properly for a flatbed, but that kind of thinking work doesn't make my back hurt.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't mind at all yanking pallets to the back of the trailer. I'm a big boy so I can handle that.

The problem is when they're oversize pallets, that gave to be liftgate unloaded. Sometimes a tow truck even has to be called to unload freight.

11. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    That's why you do city work and make sure it's no touch freight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.