You think it is live unload but they want you to drop it...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Jan 3, 2018.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    This is more like buying at the beginning of 2014... but yeah it's not as good as it looks.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    It will bottom out again, it's just a matter of when. It has been that way for the last 30 yrs I have been involved in trucking. Up and down, they jump in during the good times, jump out during the lean times.

4. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Loadbord, broker or company?

See what I mean!!!

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I saw it, the guy is just making a prank. He fooled me too though.

6. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I call them summer children around my office. The inept people who pop into the business in an up cycle. I think it has a much nicer ring to it than ####ing morons. Obviously by labeling someone this in my mind I'm fantasizing about them losing their house when the market crashes. Sorry not sorry.

SL3406 and whoopNride Thank this.
  7. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    On the flip side if any of you run into any Owner ops whose MC starts with a 9 you should show some respect. These people mostly got into the business in 2014... which means they just survived a meat grinder with almost no resources. Their overall competence level as a group is very high. There also aren't very many of them still around.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Well...Good to hear. I am a Nine. When I started, a little over a year ago, I thought that $750 from Chicago to Columbus, Oh was not bad....LOL. Although, I don't think that they would have paid me better either. I survived but I had money in the bank, I stashed it for a couple of years to try this being independent thing, so I was able to endure the first 3 quarters. Otherwise, I would have called it off earlier and gone back to being leased on to someone. Still in August, I was in doubt whether to continue this. Last quarter gave me some hope, besides, my insurance went down about 4K per year and relationships with some brokerages are less anonymous, they remember me well as I remember them well too. That's reassuring and I am optimistic now.
    The thing about enduring the down cycle is the key, so it is a must to accumulate cash reserves now to survive another down in 2019 or so. The boom periods last about 12-18 month or so, don't they? Anyway, we are yet to see, if this is even boom yet. But in the second week of 2018 I am going to PA for 4$ a mile from Chicago and last year 2.00 per mile was the best, I could hope for.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    If you can't hibernate you had better be planning to operate in very bad conditions. Personally I like getting fat enough during the good times that I can sit on my ### for years if need be.

I honestly have no idea how people who live hand to mouth stay sane. I'd lose my mind. But I'm pretty high strung I guess.

10. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    I don't understand this reply. Does this mean I'm stupid?

11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    No it means I'm confusing. I was saying that the people who are spending money like it will always be this way are headed for a beating. I'm one of those people who wouldn't feel safe without 24 months of living expenses saved up.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.