You think it is live unload but they want you to drop it...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    Aha! That's much clearer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I am the same way. I have friends, so does my wife, that live paycheck to paycheck. I honestly don't see how they do it. I have to have a large cushion to be able to sleep at night.

BoyWander and SL3406 Thank this.
  4. jptrucker0

jptrucker0 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2022
    Thank you guys learned a lot from your posts… currently facing a similar situation ourselves. Ran a floor load, broker said it was a live unload and delivery appointment is tomorrow morning. We’re here just waiting for the appt then got a call earlier today that the broker himself screwed up on the dates and it was supposed to be today but we were told the appt is tomorrow morning. So we missed the appt, broker isn’t upset about that because it was on him messing up the appts. However, he asked us to wait until next Wednesday which is 5 days from now for the new appt. He said we can either drop the trailer here he’ll find us an empty trailer for us to take back so we can still pick up our reload. Then he’ll find someone to bring the trailer back to us. highly doubt they’re gonna be able to find an empty trailer near here. he said he can pay layover but the thing is why would we even consider staying here? He only gave us two options and made it sound like we have no other options. Either we drop (they said they’ll find someone to take it back to us, who knows how long it’s gonna take before we ever see our trailer again) or we wait here for 5 days. We don’t want layover we just want to get th out of here… I said that we can bring it to a cross dock they can find someone else to deliver it but what’s tough about that is that this is floor loaded tires and he said he doesn’t have approval from the customer to transload but honestly did he even talk to the customer that he messed up the delivery appts? So what should we do? we’re not gonna stay here for five days that’s insane… if we take this back to the shipper I highly doubt that they’re going to pay anything because it wasn’t the customer’s fault it was the broker’s fault… Of course the customer won’t approve. What should we do? super nervous about tomorrow should we just take it back to the shipper? What if they don’t pay anything?

5. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I see it a lot.
    I have never had a broker not tell me.
    I have seen some posted that say 24-48 hours at both shipper and receiver.
    I add $1000 a day, since that is what my truck can earn easily in a day. Or I dont take the load.
    I have used this before for a 34 hour restart, otherwise its a waste of time.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I ran into a situation with a broker where I agree to deliver a load on a Thursday. That's what the rate con said also. I get to receiver and they tell me I have as Monday appointment and turn me away. Broker offers me $150 a day to sit and wait and I told them it would be $1000 a day cause that's what I was losing. We went back and forth and I refused to even deliver the load at all if they didn't give me what I wanted to sit. They started with this whole "I'm holding their load hostage" crap. I told them actually they were holding my truck hostage and that I would contact our company attorney about it and they could deal with him. The next day they found a place to cross dock the load and actually paid me the extra miles to take it there.

Not quite the same situation as yours though. But you do have a contract that doesn't mention dropping the trailer and I wouldn't budge without being compensated fairly for it.

Siinman, DUNE-T and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's a 4-year-old thread but obviously, things like that still happen. In my case, I was lucky with the receiver to be helpful and understanding. I am not sure what leverage had Coyote on that resolution- the broker on that load.
    These are dreadful situations and they had better be solved by the broker and the shipper/receiver, not by a carrier alone.
    Taking it back to the shipper without written authorization from the broker or the shipper may only add salt to the injury. Depositing the load to a 3rd party warehouse without some authorization may later involve load rejection and claim. I'd be careful there. So you generally should be careful with what brokers you deal with as some may be notorious for knowingly perpetrating such situations, otherwise, they would have hard times finding a carrier to agree to haul such a load for the same rate.
    I never found a broker who would agree to pay $1000 layover yet. I had only a few layovers and mostly at my home area so I did not care about it as much but they paid 250 per day.

I think if I was screwed bad by a mischievous broker, without them trying to show any goodwill, or not wanting to pay a good layover for me to sit for days on end, I'd probably take my own initiative and started calling the shipper, receiver - but above the shipping/receiving clerks level and ... transportation attorneys. I am afraid that I have a limited fuse too and perhaps at some point my patience and calm being exhausted, I'd risk a claim and get rid of the load at some cross-docking warehouse and hire them to deliver it for me. However, I must say that it would be the worst solution of them all.

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    That's one of the best things I've ever heard on TTR.

I've been in those situations before and there's nothing easy about them. But that is a really good answer when they start that crap.

Also the other person said something very important, that no one gets paid if this load does not get delivered.

Brokers do not want to have problems with their customers. Customers remember a broker that can't control their carriers or solve problems. And on top of that, brokers want to get paid.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  9. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    If it’s my trailer and that happened I’m parking up in a truck stop and selling all contents inside the trailer for 75% off to all customers of said truck stop. That’s the equivalent of being offered A1 steak but getting Nolan steak.

10. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I'm sorry you're dealing with it.
    I would be annoying them to the end. I would be calling them night and day. I would email messages. Yes, they might hate you. They won't be willing to work with you in the future. But I don't think you want to work with them again. I wouldn't. Often, they will find a solution. If you don't do anything, they won't do much. You will be paid a nominal fee for layover.
    So, keep calling them. Send emails. Call at night. They will get it resolved sooner than you think. You are not losing anything by trying to get out of this situation.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  11. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I always say I have a next load booked up and need to leave.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.