You Want Someone to Set an Action Date?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 7mouths2feed, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Why are people taking this issue so LIGHTLY?

:biggrin_25510:

People's FAMILIES and Businesses are at RISK here, HELLO!

There needs to be MORE SUPPORT!

Matthew Sr. / Overtime

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
  4. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

you better believe i will be online, not drivng, off duty or just quit for the week
    hell im ready to quit now

5. lady on the hill

lady on the hill Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Missouri
    I just joined to say my husband has been trucking for 40 years, he started back when a chauffeurs license wasn't even absolutely needed ;-). We just bought a truck again after selling our business and letting our authority go in 2005, had 10 trucks under us # one time, I got sick....... couldn't run office.. so on and so forth.

Anyway this guy isn't a fly by night doesn't know what's going on expect high profits driver. He says if he gets a short load he's just bringing it to the house TODAY, he'll be striking on the 24th too but he might start his own today.

Just my 2 cents worth. If you are paying a truck payment and making less driving your own truck than you would driving someone elses YOU ARE LOSING MONEY, that's not even factoring in the maintenance etc. You used to be able to figure 25% for fuel, 25% for the driver, 25% or LESS for maintenance and hopefully what was left would pay the payment and the paperwork, license, taxes etc. Now since fuel is taking 50% even if you are driving your own there just isn't any profit after everything else eats away # it.

6. mich_white_tiger

mich_white_tiger Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Lambertville,MI
    :biggrin_2555:Are you saying shut down for a WEEK?
    If everybody does it, it can work...
    Nobody can roll...
    Can y'all do that?
    I will support you on my podcast and my job as a truck stop cashier...
    Make 'em see the light y'all.

7. mich_white_tiger

mich_white_tiger Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Lambertville,MI
    Just for the record...I don't work at a Pilot...or a Flying J...I work at a little indie truck stop that just manages to stay ahead...drivers are buying less fuel, have less money to spend, therefore our hours are being cut, and we stand to lose our jobs when this gets worse...EVERYBODY should be concerned...
    Gas,wheat,gold,oil, the falling dollar....if the trucks stop...WE ALL SUFFER!!!
    When is the last time you bought something that WASN'T delivered by a truck???

8. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

im shut down for the rest of this week basicly....

when/if i ever get unloaded i will get a load home and shut it down again....but im not sure how long it will be off....maybe a few months, but no less than 7 days

9. lady on the hill

Mar 17, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know whether we are saying that, like I said I just joined. I myself have been in trucking for 15 years and mostly on the financial end, some driving, it's just not worth it to keep on driving this week if you aren't making decent wages for yourself or enough to keep up the payments.

I can remember back in the late 90s we fired and lost drivers, sometimes my husband paid for 3 trucks and trailers with one truck, wasn't easy and we would sell a truck or get a driver within a few months but we did it. Now? Our truck payments are REALLY low but he could make more driving a truck local in the next town for someone else AND pay for the truck, where is the sense on keeping it moving?

Everybody needs to put a calculator to how many miles they ran last week and what they spent for fuel and decide if it's just a losing proposition, if it is START the durn strike early, that way it will have more of an effect and may actually save the o/o some money!!

10. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    SITTING THOSE TRUCKS in the drive ways at HOME FOLKS dont say much!

they've GOTTA BE SITTING on the SIDES of the dam HIGHWAYS with STIKE SIGNS ON THEM!

Either on the SHOULDER's, Pickle Parks , ON/OFF RAMPS or Truckstops!

THOSE TRUCKS have to be SEEN in SHUTDOWN!
    What the hell! This isn't VACATION!:biggrin_25510:

lol

My 2,
    Matthews

11. lady on the hill

Mar 17, 2008
    Missouri
    We live on a cut through for trucks, don't worry, if the truck comes home and sits for awhile, other trucks will KNOW why it's here. There is a reason I'm lady on a hill!! LOL VERY VISIBLE.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.