You wish you had it this good :) Watkins & Shepard

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by dancnoone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Going over the last several weeks, it's really really sucked.

Truck was in the shop every week for 3 weeks in a row since Thanksgiving. Paycheck has sucked due to that problem, which finally got fixed.

Short trip into dispatch, explain that I am aware they can't do anything about the shop time. But I need to run, cuz we aren't going to be doing much during the holidays (I hope). And I like the idea of using a few days to go hunting, instead of driving :D

End result, lots of drops, low miles, BIG bucks :) They listened, and they made good on what they promised. I was deadheaded with pay to the house to insure I was there when I wanted to be also. Even though we had several customers right down the street I could have loaded at in the morning.

Checking over my pay for the year: I've averaged $1200 (before taxes) plus per week with most weekends at home (I ran OTR for several weeks during october and November). Even got a few days thru the week :)

Sure, I had some really sh##y weeks ($500 bring home or less). But. I've had a lot more great weeks :D

All in all, I have to say Watkins & Shepard is one of the better (if not best) companies I have worked for.

The honeymoon just keeps on going. :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's always good to hear others that are being treated well by their companies and aren't getting shafted on pay. Congrats for finding the place that you can call home and not have to worry about crap being dumped on you. I can say the same about where I'm working - the money's good enough, the benefits are awesome, the people are work for are great (well, except for a couple of exceptions, lol), I'm home every day and I don't work on weekends.
    Were that EVERY driver could find their dream job!! Were that EVERY trucking company would treat their drivers in such a way that you would be happy wherever you worked!
    bb

4. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I won't say it's a dream job. Hey, I work my butt off for every dollar I earn. But, I also have a good work ethic. IE I ain't scared of manual labor.

But I will say they show more respect for their drivers than ANY company I have worked for, in a very long time.

My dream job ??? Getting paid to bowhunt :D

5. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    What kind of manual labour do you need to do, as a Watkins Shepard driver ?

6. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Most of the loads out of our terminal are furniture loads. So we have to tailgate them. Occasionally, we get other loads that we don't touch.

My most recent load had 17 stops. Some pieces weighing in at 200 lbs plus. Hand Dolly time :)

This load was 756 miles and paid $700

7. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Alright, but I think you know what I mean. My dream job is someone else going to work for me while I'm out touring Italy, England and a lot of other places I would love to go visit : )

8. hendersoncnc

hendersoncnc Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    baltimore,maryland
    you know anything about HON or MARTIN furniture drivers?

9. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Nope sorry. I have pulled some HON loads (not with this company). Now that was some work, as those desk and cabinets are heavy.

10. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    How busy are they in western PA, in the Pittsburgh region ? Where would their nearest terminal be ? What kind of hometime, weekly miles, type of freight can one expect in that region ?

Are the furniture loads palletised, which facilitates their unloading with power-jacks ? Where do these loads usually go to, and what has been your experience with the warehouse personnel ? What is the average detention time at the docks ? Thanks in advance.

11. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Being totally honest with you.

We have a terminal in the Youngstown, OH area. Each terminal is different when you look at the different driving jobs available and the amount of work involved.

Provided they have the openings. Regional will get you home most weekends. Depending on the terminal, you may get 1500 miles per week, or you may get 3000 miles a week. Pay will be about the same regardless, provided that 1500 mile run has multiple stops. Personally, I would rather run 2 - 700 miles runs with 6-20 stops each. But, that's me.

We do a lot of furniture from our terminal. This is not the case at all terminals. Other terminals send their drivers out with loads that must be taken off by forklift. Furniture is typically tailgated by the driver, via dolly.

I run furniture out, then it can be anything coming back. Sometimes, I run out with a load of seed, feed, talc, etc. In that case, it's off loaded by the warehouse.

I have heard some complaints from our Michigan area OTR drivers. Mainly hard to get home. But, I do not hear complaints about the job itself. It can be demanding at times.

OTR should expect at least 3000 miles a week. Even some of the regional drivers get that, it depends on where you run out of.

Most of our customers are glad to see us. I've had many comment on the level of satisfaction they have with our company. Warehouse personnel.. some good, some bad. It comes with the job.

Delivery locations vary, furniture may go to a store or a warehouse. Stores can be a pain in the butt. Tight locations, no docks, and grumpy owners. This is not the case most of the time.

Other loads go to warehouses and such. The usual drill.

Detention... Many times we get a message in our load plan warning us of this issue. So we aren't completely blindsided by a slow customer.

I've only gotten detention once in the past 9 months. I should have gotten it 3 times, twice at one customer. That was my call, and they would have paid it...long story. Overall, I am rarely at a customer for more than an hour. We do have customers that are as slow as Christmas !! And take hours to load/unload. We get paid :)

Down time: I've only collected layover once. I'm generally planned out within an hour. That's not always the case, but it is very rare that something isn't found quickly.

Stop Pay: Can vary, depending on the load and the customer. Loading and unloading are considered stops ;)

Unloaded at 4pm, expect to spend the night. And roll first thing in the AM.

Warning: Make no mistake, you will earn every dollar you get. They are an excellent company IMO. They expect a lot, and they pay you for your efforts. NOTE: I said expect, not demand.

They do things differently than most companies. Much different! But it works for them, and me :D

Things are done differently at EACH terminal. Most run and plan the same if you're an OTR driver.

One comment I've seen with new drivers (students). They understand where the money is going the company makes. And it isn't on a fancy home terminal ;) like most companies.

My biggest issue while on the road (not really an issue): Other drivers with other companies want to argue with me about how much I earn, and how much home time I had that pay period/week. I feel if they didn't want to know, they shouldn't have asked. But life goes on :D

Can you tell I'm extremely satisfied with my job ???

reaper73 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.