You wish you had it this good :) Watkins & Shepard

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by dancnoone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I don't know how the raises are scaled. You'll need to speak with someone else on that. But I do know. You won't get to .35 a mile, until you've got 5 years experience.

Takes a year at CFI.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jasondt2001

jasondt2001 Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Salinas, Ca
    Don't you have to have some over the road experience to work w/ CFI though Danc?

4. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    From what I understand, they are taking some students. I think (don't hold me to this) that they are required to pay a minimal fee. You might ask on one of the Conway Truckload threads, to double check that.

It used to be 6 months minimum..But it also used to be 3 years. Times change.

5. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Today I sit and pull my hair out waiting for the VA to send more info to the dang doc who gave me my DOT physical...and put it on hold. Bugs me, because I'll outrun, outlift, outstep, or outpull any one who wants to challenge me - and have a stable heartbeat afterwards. But I fear this thing could be a hitch just because of history.
    Maybe I'm worried about nothing, but the money isn't here yet either.
    It's taking a lot of Faith.

6. meatball138

meatball138 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2009
    the south west
    how often are you getting bonuses and how do they owork/pay? and how much loading/unloading you doing? and what is that pay? and do you think $50 for a 24 hour layover is good?

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    It depends on which company you are asking about. Conway Truckload, or W&S.

$50 layover is enough, if the company is honest. W&S pays after 24 hours. CFI (Conway) didn't when I worked there. That may have changed, I doubt it.

Unloading pay differed also. As did stop pay. Overall, I would say W&S is a better conmpany. BUT...Conway Truckload will increase your per mile pay much faster.

If the object of your desire, is to run miles. Then Conway Truckload is the place to be.

If it's making money. W&S is the place to be when LTL is running good.

It all revolves around how you want to make that money. Driving, or working? At CFI/Conway, it took 60 hours (no hometime) to make the same money as 40 hours (2 days at home) at W&S. But, I had to work my ### off at W&S for that to happen.

8. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Heheh, you just eliminated 98% of the drivers out there...:sleepy3:

9. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Sad but true.

But even holding the steering wheel can be "hard" work. If a company has their #### together. Which eliminates about 85% of those ;)

10. Bodyinked419

Bodyinked419 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philadelphia, pa
    Hello there,

Ok, I have finally gotten done reading all 128 posts and I figured this was where to post some questions. Hopefully it is still being read. I am making a short list of companies and after reading so much positive posted here on Watkins, the are becoming number 1.

Basically, I have 13 years experience with a few good companies. Never had an accident, numerous safety awards with each company and excellant referrals would not be a problem. I did 11 years of LTL, although not what i am looking for now.

My situation now: The economoy sucks and has hit my family hard. My wife lost her job a few months back and cannot find work and while trying to figure it all out, this idea came to me. Since my son is going off the college in August, why not hit the road? We are renting now, so that's not and issue and what better way to save a lot of money then to not have to pay rent and utilites among other things? So, that's what we are doing. the wife will be along for the ride, looking to hire as a solo OTR.

Which brings me here doing my due dillegence.....Now, I have had many questions answered by reading all those posts, hopefully you could help me out with a few more?

1) How are the trucks inside? Since we will be living out of them, what would your opinion on that idea?
    ....Does the company let you run invertors so you can have a fridge, microwave, tv, etc?
    ....Is the passenger seat as comfortable as the drivers? You know a lot of trucks the 2nd seat sucks big time.
    .....Single or double bunk? Can 2 normal sized people fit in the single?

2) Pay. I lokoed at the site, but it wasn't specific. I have over 13 years so where would I fall in? first 2 years were all OTR, then 10 Local/Regional eastern corrider, then the last 7 months regional averaging 2,800 miles a week D&H.

3) Riders OK? Something I read is bothering me because I would hate to see somthing like this kill the deal for me. I read that they might make someone wait 90-120 days to take a rider? Do you know if this is true? Maybe this is only for students? I hope.

4) Taking your days off. Can you accru days off? Here's the thing. We won't be worrying about getting home often like most. We would rather run a few weeks, then grab a load that would take us in the area of somewhere we would like to take 3-4 days off, get a hotel, maybe rent a car and relax. Is this somethign that would be possible?

5) Is HAZMAT required?

Ok, I think that's it. Any help you can give would be most appreciated by us both. Thanks again for all the info already.

Eric

11. Java Joe

Java Joe Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I will do my best to answer your questions, anyone else chime in if you like...
    Inverters - Yes, you can purchase one and the shop will install it for you. I have a 2500W in my truck.
    Seats - The passenger seat is the same as the driver's seat in my truck except it doesn't have the armrests.
    Bunks - They do all come with double bunks as far as I know. From what I am told the Freightliner single bunk is a little larger than the Volvo's, but I would think a married couple could sleep in it, as long as you're not fighting :biggrin_25525:. I think they are basically twin size beds with a little added length.

I don't have the full break down on this with me, would be best to call recruiting I would think. But I think they may start you at the bottom tier due to it being so long since you drove OTR. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Not sure on the details for this, but I think that is accurate. Again, probably best to talk to recruiting, maybe they can work with you.

I think I have heard of people doing this, yes you can accrue your time off and use at your leisure, don't see how they ould have a problem with the location.

No, not required. They do haul a bit of fireworks in the summer and the rate is .02/mile more than the standard I believe.

Well, good luck to you and let us know what how it turns out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.