You wish you had it this good :) Watkins & Shepard

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by dancnoone, Dec 30, 2007.

1. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Having worked at a carpet mill in Los Angeles and seen my share of W/S trailers being loaded with rolls of carpet I can tell you that NO ONE is unloading a full roll of carpet "by hand". It takes a fork lift with an 8' pole on the front. Or you could tie a rope to a tree and if you can get it attached to the roll you could drive out from under it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Yeah, I guess there's no choice there, even for me!
    Talked with Roxy last night for a while and asked about the LTL situation and she said it isn't permanent; just a matter of contracts. I mentioned Danc and the reason he quit: hey man, you're most likely welcome back when there's an empty seat!
    Right now they're flooded with apps, many from Crete drivers.

4. msmspilot

msmspilot Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    North Mississippi
    Dang dude. I don't know what happened with you but I work for W/S right now and that's just bull.

I have hand unloaded a few pieces off a trailer a few times, but nothing approaching 90%. The only time I've been laid over for more than 12-14 hours was on the Christmas/New Years holiday. You're right that you need to plan appropriately for the weekend, but there is a weekend dispatcher to help with any other problems a dispatcher can usually help with.

Your pay numbers are just laughable. My wife and I will have made $40K by June unless something horrible happens. And as far as a larger company getting "better loads," even a lot of our solo guys are getting a fair number of 2000-3000mile loads and that RIGHT NOW while everyone is fussing that freight is slow.

Seriously don't know if you are ticked off with how the company treated you or if you're just misinformed but dude...

snakeskin Thanks this.
  5. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    Ile think there is a grudge or something. I've been leased to WS nine years and I had to read his post twice to make sure he was on the right thread.lol They are a small company but if you look at there website you will see they dont generate that kind of revenue letting drivers sit.Sometimes you might have to sit but it's not the normal. I've been here to long for someone that just passed through to run down a company that's been good to me and has helped me for 9 years be profitable.

6. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    I can see lack of communication all over his thread. Sometimes you cant just sit and wait on the QC to beep. you have to be proactive. I've never,let me say again, never unloaded on a Fri day/nite that they did'nt keep me moving.In 9 years. So let it be known if you trash WS and you have half truths and facts we will call you on it.

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Let me say unequivocally, some of what he said is true. But .... There are reasons.

Anyone who sat for 5-7 days, did so because they lacked the ambition or desire to run the loads given them. Yes, you can refuse a load. But I #### sure wouldn't advise it at this time. You might sit longer than 7 days.

You will fingerprint a lot of LTL freight. But only to the rear of the trailer, from there the customer takes it.

LTL is stressful, S2B can attest to this. OTR is a bit more laid back for most folks, but the money isn't as good IMO. I have a heavy furniture background, so the LTL and tail gating loads, is something that comes easy for me.

Yes, you will sit on the weekends if you get to the customer or terminal on Saturday or Sunday. Dispatch goes home at variable hours through the week. And there is a weekend dispatcher in on Saturday at the Missoula terminal, only. But if you remain in contact with your dispatcher, and always be where you say you will be, when you say you will be. Your dispatcher will make the effort to cover you.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that things haven't gotten as bad as the original "grump" stated. But I will say, they have fallen a very long way in the past 90 days, if it's true.

And I will say that W&S spoiled me with their fast dispatch after empty. There are some weak areas ( CA and WA). But generally, I had a load within a few hours after empty. Instead of 24-48 hours the big guys always seem to enjoy so much.

Be prepared to work, work hard, and they will take care of you as best they can. Which is pretty #### good, when you consider what other companies have to offer.

Do I regret leaving ? Not so much, since I found a company that treats me as good and better in some areas. Would I go back? Yes, if I needed a place to go. Question is, would they take me back LOL

8. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    That is very true. Communication is vital to W&S and the driver. And his comments sounded very one sided. As if they failed to communicate with him.

I gave that QC about an hour, maybe 2 depending on the area I was in, then I was on the phone. Sometimes I was on the phone a day before I got to the customer/terminal, asking about loads.

You definitely have to be pro-active, if you want to get anywhere in life.

panhandlepat and snakeskin Thank this.
  9. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    LMAO....well I PO'd a few key folks off. But I don't think I completely torched the bridges. And yes, the LTL drop off is just temporary. How long temp is though, remains to be seen.

And I think I'll be staying where I am for awhile. My hometime is a bit more predictable. :biggrin_25525:

10. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    that is true at most Co's.
    when things are kinda slow, they let the ones who aren't motivated sit. the ones who after sitting an hour are blowing up the Qcomm. get the loads.
    my standard procedure has been (not so much now, because i am USUALLY preplanned) after one hour i send a msg "where am i at on the board" or something similar

11. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Danc: shoot man, how did that happen? I mean, what happened to the chorus line, warm fuzzies, and we-are-fa-mi-lee?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.