Young, no experience, insurance problems

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Timmy Fran, Nov 1, 2018.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It's not just paying your own personal taxes. You have to pay the employer portion as well - and you need to pay your own health care with mostly after tax dollars (there are ways to use pretax, see your friendly neighborhood CPA). To put things in perspective, with bonus and vacation pay I'm making just shy of 60 cpm as a company driver for a mega. Add in health care and self employment taxes and I would probably need 75-80 cpm just to break even.

Them firing you isn't "hanging you out to dry". With the scenario you describe YOU would not be covered under their insurance. If you are in an accident, they will say "he is an IC, leasing the truck from us, and he aggreed to provide his own insurance". Thus YOU face 100% financially liability. A judgment of 6 figures would be expected, potentially much more. You can go to court and fight, maybe win - if you can afford a good lawyer. Regardless of how the court case (s) end, you will have racked up some serious legal bills and financially set yourself back 10 years, or more, by the time you get everything paid or discharged and your credit back.

That is the risk you entail.

Finally - if you know your employer is cheating, you know he is capable of cheating you.

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timmy Fran

Timmy Fran Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2018
    This is useful.

4. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    Hey guys, wanted to give an update and thanks for all of your help and input. I’m now hired, happy and hopefully staying with Cassen’s Transport Co. I really appreciate this forum and your free advice!

TravR1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
  6. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    They have since found their application loop hole of leaving out the requisite of graduating from an accredited school

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    So what do they require?

8. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    “Yes”

9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Yes graduating from an accredited CDL school holds a lot of weight. I got my CDL with a rented truck and minimal training but my job opportunities were slim . Get 3 to 6 months under your belt and your job prospects double. Im In my 2nd year and Have my own truck and trailer running under my own Authority. Like others have said " patience " , some only figure this out in their later years .

Timmy Fran Thanks this.
  10. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    Sorry I didn’t understand the question ha.

Class A CDL.
    “Graduation from an accredited driving school”

That’s it.
    They prefer years of OTR experience & even better Car Hauling experience obviously, but many of those recieving training/getting hired right now don’t have any OTR experience. They Mentioned a high attrition rate due to the job being demanding and, I imagine, not a lot of babying - they spend time with you there, but they expect you to learn fast. They didnt give much driving training either. Mostly focus on the car loading.

11. Timmy Fran

Nov 1, 2018
    Way to go! Your own authority and equipment in under 2 years! - that’s what I like!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.