Youngster with a problem...

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Trucker19, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trucker19

Trucker19 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some advice. I am currently 19 and my CDL Class A. I am here in texas and almost everywhere you have to be 21 and up. I was just wondering if there was any hope for me to find employment or should i just wait. I've been calling and visiting companies to find a job but i just haven't been able to find a driving job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    did you try the construction companies? You have to be 21 to cross state lines. I also see plenty of trucks at the pipe yards that are strictly local... at least they better be since they wouldn't even pass a fly-over inspection from DOT.

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Hey, I resemble that remark! I used to drive some of those locals around here, and they would to pass a flyover DOT check. From a really high, low-res sattelite, but that still counts! Sorta.

5. Trucker19

Trucker19 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    ya i have tried but through online like craigslist they told me that there insurance company would not take me.....

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

try some of the oilfield tankers

but your age, and lack of experiance is gonna hamper you

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Try oilfield like was said, try agricultural, that seems to be a way in. You may also get experience in other states that way, at least, my nephew did.

8. Trucker19

Trucker19 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanx for the advice i havent checked in oilfields or agriculture. I've been trying other companies in the food transportation area.

9. Trucker19

Trucker19 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    IDK if anyone can tell me were to look like....i know the rules but like online? or yellowbook? or go to companies office stuff like that.......

10. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    Anyone else here can correct or expound on me here, but I would just go to places. And don't just ask for an application, fill it out and leave. Talk to them, or if you're not good at that then go to your local job service and ask them to help you in that area.

I'm also going to forewarn you that it may take a while but if it is something you really want to do then don't give up. You have things working against you:

age: young = inexperience in the insurance company's eye
    = cannot cross state lines
    economy: not sure how the economy is down there but I know we will not go down there anymore until the rate picks back up off the floor

11. Trucker19

Trucker19 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Ya the economy is really messed up been unemployed since December which sucks especially when you have to help out your family....well Thanx again im not going to give up ive always wanted to be a truck driver! and im going to keep trying till i find something....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.