Your advice for a rolloff business truck?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Fredy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Hello all, what is your advise for a starting rolloff business truck setup? I've been researching for recommend engines and have come across posts saying suspension is more important. Also, used or new truck and which? I would appreciate a mentoring advice because I'm very new to the world of trucking, in fact I'm soon to take the CDL B exam but would like to jumpstart the truck search. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Hevey spring will ride nicer than those solid state suspension things, but theres alot more to roll off than that. At least 400 horse, i had a 425 merc engine, handle bout anything. Cable or hook? Single axle, tandum, single with tag, tandum with tag(s). Wheel base for max weight, ifta for running deep in nebior states, county haul tags... do you have dumpsters? You dont have a cdl but your gonna start a business? I was very close to the owner of a roll off business plus my years doing it... i hope you have a plan, or at least alot of money

4. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Hi street beater, thanks for your comment. I have some experience with a ram5500 and 15 yard dumpsters. I learned that camelback or Hendricksons are ideal for rolloff trucks and I'm looking at a tandem. I have 22 ft long dumpsters that require a 200+ wheelbase. When you say tags, do you mean hazard placards?

5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN

No im talking about the drop axle, that allows more weight to be carried, 22' so are you running 20's 30's and high boy 40's? I ran a sterling tandum with a full pup trailer, maxed out at around 11 tons load weight on the truck, a little more on the trailer, as long as i didnt go over 80,000 of cource...

6. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    We had a 10 ton max so in reality it was closer to 12, we did everything, we had 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 40, 40 closed top, 40 reciver (trash packer boxs) 30 closed top, 20 closed tops... figure a 10 yard full of concrete ruble comes in right around 11 tons, a 20 yad full of ashpelt shingles comes in around 6 to 7 tons, a 40 receiver packed full around 6 tons, a 40 yard full of ceder shakes around 5 or 6 tons... anyway the truck.... i like it, always been a kw fan, rack and pin auto tarps are nice, take care of it and it will be your best friend, concequently if you are pulling alot of option boxs (cable and hook setup) have someone put a renforced cut out for the A frame on hook boxs, you will tear up your tarp near the cab if not. I like cables, can do more, like self contained trash and the like. That truck has a solid stinger, so you have one less pistion to maintain but your aproch hight and angle are fixed. Not better or worse just different. Make sure to use your rear tiedowns, you are held to standerd securment requirments

8. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    It would depend on whats in it, getting 12 to 15 tons in a 30 is actualy hard. Nobody wants a 30 for ashphalt shingles, sides are to high, genral demo, say from a new house, in a 30 yard will only weigh around 5 tons

9. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    One last thing on that truck, i see it doesnt have butterfly wings, make sure you have a few 4' chains with one hook only. (Speed chain) and a 8' chain with hooks on both ends, keeps those pesky dumpster wheels from jacking up your fenders

10. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Good information. What do you mean by the solid stinger? In what circumstances would a lower or higher height be important for roll offs, dropping off on a dock right?

Both trucks are new just I'm concerned about the engine differences and of course pricing. What are your thoughts on this?

11. Fredy

Fredy Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Washington, D.C
    Ok, I'm going to have to google what chains you are talking about. Thanks for your comments, all this is very helpful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.