your experiences with WI-FI at Pilot, Flying J and TA truck stops?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by RollOn33, Jul 3, 2013.

1. RollOn33

RollOn33 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi there,

Hubby has been talking about getting a tablet that he'd use on the truckstop's WI-FI. His favorite truckstops are Pilot, Flying J and TA. I've started researching this and find he can pay for WI-FI using his points as one option but can otherwise pay hourly, daily etc. I was told by one person that the WI-FI the truckstops use isn't very reliable, dropped connections etc. I don't want to take the word of just one person so I'm asking for input from others.

I really would prefer to not hook-up through our cell provider, I have a Nexus 7 tablet I would give him that doesn't require a provider it's just straight WI-FI and can be used on any WI-FI connection.

Also, what do you know about security on truckstop WI-FI connections? I understand you login and there might be a password needed but I can't seem to find anything so far on the encryption/security level.

Your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Deb

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I've used it once....and never again.

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Ive only paid for wifi once at Loves near Sparks, NV when the tmobile data network went down. It didnt seem to be much faster than the 2g network id normally be using. Other than that i just use the phone data network unless im at the Iowa 80, Joplin Petro, any of thr independents that offer free wifi or a truckstop with a McDonalds.

Before the charger went belly up, I connected my netbook to my phones built in WiFi hotspot. The hotspot feature was included in my data package so no extra charge.

Who is your phone carrier?

5. RollOn33

RollOn33 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You guys are great, thanks for the quick input! It's Verizon but he doesn't have, want or need a smartphone. He's got a simple flip phone and wants to keep it that way. The only way he could get a hotspot would be if we bought one. We only have a 4G data plan. I can monitor it but I'd really rather not have to deal with that.

6. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    A hot spot would be your best option out here, I use verizon and I just use my phone as a hot spot. Works a lot better than truck stop wifi

7. RollOn33

RollOn33 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Wisconsin
    He doesn't have a smartphone so no built in hotspot. I'd have to get him a tablet that we could add on to our VZW account at $10 mo. We already fork out $160mo for our cell bill :( and we only have a 4G plan. I don't know how fast his using it would eat up that 4G. I guess the only way to know would be to do it. I can monitor our usage and tell him he's gotta watch what he's doing I guess. Ugh, another $10 a mo ... I know it doesn't seem like much but believe me, our wallet says it is.

8. John's Girl

John's Girl Crusty Smiling Ray of Sunshine

Mar 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Hubby and I have smartphones with Verizon. Our plan is for 6GB/mo. I only use wi-fi if it's available at Dunkin Donuts or McD's. Otherwise I use my data plan. It's much faster and more reliable than the wi-fi offered by the truck stop. Our GB per month covers his use of his company's app for filing his trip paperwork and running his GPS on his phone. I alone use maybe .25 gig a month.

9. RollOn33

RollOn33 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Wisconsin
    That's pretty much me .25 mo. He wants to do Facebook w/his sisters but I know that at least at first he'll be like a kid in a candy store, LOL! I guess we'll have to talk about this some more. I don't think he really comprehends how fast one's data can get used up. He's not tech-savvy at all, I'd have to teach him how to do everything.

Thank you all for your input, you saved me from making a huge mistake in counting on the truckstop WI-FI! Now at least I know what direction to stick too where before I was all over the place not knowing what to do.

10. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I use my phone as a Hotspot, got unlimited data.
    Got Verizon also.....I know how you feel our bill is close to $200 a month.

I tried cheap (Sprint) that didn't work out for me.

11. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    I hear that, it's definitely pricey for data. I am on here quite a bit as well as Facebook. As long as I don't watch any video online or anything like that it's not to hard to stay under 4 gigs a month. I have 8 on my plan because I also Skype with the girlfriend occasionally and that eats up more

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.