YOUR favorite OIL????

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wwp2343, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer has NO effective additives. NONE. PERIOD. Here, yet again, is a link to a thread at another forum where Lucas was submitted to a oil sampling lab and tested to see what is in it.

Virtually nothing but a 150w base oil. Nothing more than an oil thickener. I'll break it down a little for you...

TBN: Typical HDEO oil will have roughly a 10 TBN. LOS had a .1 hardly a blip on the radar

Viscosity at 100C: 40w oil roughly 14.5. LOS 615! That makes it a 150 weight gear oil!

Calcium: A common additive in all oils. Normal oil will have 1100-1200 ppm. LOS has 3 ppm.

Magnesium: Another additive in oil. Normal is usually 800-900 ppm. LOS has 1 ppm.

Phosphorus: Normal oil will usually have 1000-1100 ppm. LOS has 4 ppm in the sample.

Zinc: Now here is the big one we want! Zinc is a great anti friction additive. Regular oils will have 1100-1200 ppm. LOS... 2 ppm.

Still think Lucas is a great additive that does what no motor oil can do? Then you need to go in for a drug scan.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/890132/8

CellNet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Oil pressure is not indicative of the film strength of the oil in question. Did you do an oil sample one the oil to see if there was oil shearing evident and that the oil had dropped out of viscosity? A 30w oil will have a typical viscosity at 100c of around 10-12. A typical 40w oil will have a viscosity at 100c of around 14-16. Yet, both will offer effective film strength. Weight is not a true indicator of film strength. The test for oil shearing at 150c is how you tell if the oil will provide what you need. For a 30w oil to drop out of viscosity to a warning level it would have to shear to a viscosity at 100c of around 9 on a 30w oil or around 12.5 on a 40w oil.

It is also common knowledge, at least in oil lubrication circles, that many things can effect oil viscosity change. The weight of the oil for the engine, fuel dilution, etc. If the improper weight oil is used, sometimes the internals of the engine will shear the oil to a lower viscosity. For your example, neither Cummins, Cat, or Detroit recommends a 50w oil. You started out putting the wrong grade in to begin with. And No. the number before the "w" has nothing to do with the weight of the oil. Check with the Automotive Petroleum Institute (API), the number before the "w" has to do with its winter flow rating. Nothing to do with the weight.

As a side note, there are 7000 hp per cylinder heavy industrial engines that are using 10w oils as the standard engine oil! There are 25,000 hp aircraft engines that are using 5w oils! That is less viscosity than automatic transmission fluid! Viscosity is not indicative of the quality of the oil, the ability to protect the component, etc. It is the load bearing capacity of the oil, the resistance to shearing, and film strength.

You experience excessive shearing of the oil to get that kind of a viscosity change. The many oil sample results I have show no oil shearing at all using 15,000 to 23,000 mile oil changes. The oil is staying in viscosity. Somehow, your engine is really brutal to the Mystik 50w oil (Mystik is a very good oil overall), or you are putting in the wrong grade and the engine tolerances are causing it to shear to the lower viscosity. I vote for the latter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    How about traveler 15w40 from tractor supply? Anyone tried it?

5. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    My guess is that it is about as good as any other. It has a higher viscosity index than most, but not bad. The pour point is a lot higher than most. -12F compared to -28F for most conventional oils. Sure not one I would use if I had to cold start in the morning in Minnesota in the winter! Other than that, it seem like an average CI-4 oil. Strictly a pre '07 engine oil. If it fits your needs and the price is real good, go for it. My guess is that it is packaged by Warren Oil, which blends, packages, and distributes a lot of proprietary labeled oils. They are very reputable.

http://www.wd-wpp.com//tsc/fleetmotoroils.html

russtrucker Thanks this.
  6. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Or just run delvac in Minnesota. Block heaters keep trucks going around here

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    There ya go! Delvac is a good oil. And I got sold on oil pan heaters as well when I lived in Alaska. I still use oil pan heaters on my trucks along with the block heaters. When it gets well into sub zero territory, both of those together make the starting the truck as easy as on a warm summer day.

8. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    My company runs Mobil delvac 1300 15-40 in all their trucks. Serves us well as a lot of our trucks run to well over a million miles before needing engine work done. We got Mercedes motors in our Columbias, 60 series detroits in our classics, and the dd15 in the cascadias. Works great in all of them. And it's readily available at any truckstop or walmart across the us.

9. generallee

generallee Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Someone recently told me they had sifnificant increase in mpg using schaeffers. I had never heard of it. Thinking of looking into it now.
    I have an 03 pete with the 6NZ 550. I noticed more oil consumption with Delo than with Rotella which I can go 10,000 miles before using any. I figured this was pretty good in an older engine but I'm always looking for ways to improve and extend engine life.
    Is the circulation filter a good way to go and worth the effort?

10. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    post intentionally deleted.

11. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I can't confirm that the Schaeffer has done wonders for my mpg, since I have done a lot of mods that I think had more impact. But I have gotten some great results in other ways with Schaeffer in my Detroit 60. I have gotten much better wear metal numbers on oil samples, it has taken care of a mysterious viscosity loss that I was getting with other oils, soot levels are lower, etc. I got sold on it after reading a few articles on molybdenum disulfide (moly) in motor oils. Schaeffer really believes in higher levels of zinc and moly, both of which are well recognized friction reducing compounds. Here is the articles. There are three articles, listed on the right side of the this page....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

And since I can get a good synthetic blend for under $18 a gallon (55 drum), delivered free of charge to my home, along with free oil sample kits that include free postage and free oil analysis. Kinda hard to beat that deal with any other synthetic blend oil.

If anyone wants more info, you can get it here. This guy can give you more info. He is a factory rep (not like some Amsoil dealer kind of thing) and he can have product shipped to anyone world wide.

http://www.schaefferoilreps.com/dandykema/

agngua and generallee Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.