Your favorite Tall Tales and Lunch Counter stories.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dockbumper, Aug 14, 2021.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I’ve worked with so many truckers that love to tell tall tales. The one guy finally ruined it for me, kept going on about his mansion in Florida and all his money, yet he drove a raggedy old Pete for a guy apparently for the thrill of it. I finally just burned out of it. I don’t believe hardly anything a trucker tells me anymore. Most of it is baloney.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I agree. I was thinking about this topic early this morning. Back in the 60s and 70s a lot of drivers would sit around tables and shoot the (redacted) everybody knew it was tall tales and normally it was the server that called BS and everybody laughed. Jeez, I remember those days. Today it seems to be different. Not the same at all.

4. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Anyone remember when T.I.P.S. actually meant To Insure Proper Service?
    So I gave it a go some years gone at, of all places, a T/A and forgot the location.
    Gave the Girl/Woman Waitress a $5.00 bill and the "service" was absent.
    Randomly filled the coffee cup and the food was Luke Warm.
    Shoulda gone to a Petro.
    - - - -
    Another T/A, this time in Lodi, Oh., I didn't see a Banana Split on the menu so I asked why and a Waitress had no idea.
    She did however know how to make one and did, just wasn't sure what to charge.
    I thot $4.00 was fair and gave her a $4.00 tip.
    I got back to the Tricky truck and mentioned it on the Chatter Box and told them thar folks to head in and "give it a go or do not".
    Some of the chatter queens asked if I offered the waitress some "favors" at which I said "No Need and
    "believe it or not, those R yur options".
    - - - -
    I Remember rolling south on I-77 dropping off Flat Top in the Hillbilly when me Brakes wouldn't work so well to the first level.
    Full Sleeper, 53' Dry Van with I think around 38k.
    I did discover that using the Trolley Valve helped on the second drop except for the smoking Brakes, so setting the Trailer Brakes worked o.k. for a brief bit until the Tires Exploded, and that's when the Fire started.
    Luckily before the left handed turn near the bottom there were a few well laden Trucks that served as a buffer eliminating the need to jump out.
    No Pictures cause I was shaking too badly and couldn't use a camera before being sealed in an ambulance.
    The Truck was destroyed yet the trailer saved some of the Load after the fire was extinguished.
    After less than a month in a nearby to somewhere Hospital, I got back to the Tarheel on a Doggy Bus.
    Stayed away from Flattop and on Flatland for a few years.

CHEERS!!

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Did anyone mention the legend of JB Hunt?

JB Hunt had a driverless truck going down the road 30 years ago. How does Elon Musk like them apples?

Well, just like everyone knew that guy with the black Pete that honked at a moose, all drivers 30 years ago knew of that infamous JB that was running team in a COE. A hand on the CB tells JB that his side box was open. JB sets the cruise, opens the door, leans out and tries to kick the side box closed. JB falls out the truck and the truck continued without him, co driver in the sleeper.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Back in the day, before I22, to go to Memphis from Smoke City, you had to run US 78. 78 was a pain,went through all of those little hick towns with hick cops writing hick tickets. Of course, you could bypass a lot of it IF….

(shudder)

…you were brave enough to take HWY 5 to Hamilton. Truckers wouldn’t go through there at night, because the Ghost Woman would appear on your running board and looking in your truck to see if you were the MF who killed her. You would figure that since she was a ghost she would be able to find that fool without looking into every truck and making grown arse men poop their pants. Shame on her.

7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I just read a good BS story on this forum in a old thread that got a reply on it today... it's the Cummins 444 thread.. you'll smell it when you open it no doubt.. another 1 of those .... I got's me a big truck ..And you ain't gonna belive this but..... stories.. Thats all I'am gonna say... lMAO

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2021
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There are so many different variants to those stories that it might take a book to list them all. All the southern states. Some folks say this song was speaking to that.

Then you also have this song!

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    :D

10. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Yep, I just had to go look. Could have swore I was sitting at the counter in a ole Union 76 there for a minute.

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I'am glad you sniffed it out too....Thats exactly what I thought myself ..LMAO...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.