Your Opinion on a Company That Hires Newbies with No Schooling

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FLATBED, Feb 9, 2012.

1. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

What would you think of a company that hires a NEWBIE , no schooling or training , seat time other than what he taught himself to get a CDL.

Company puts him with a TRAINER for 1 round trip on a semi dedicated run of say 1500 miles of which NEW YORK CITY will be a regular place to go, then plans on letting him run solo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Brave people.... not real bright but brave.:biggrin_2559:

No reflection on the driver since I don't know him/her but this would look to me to be a disaster waiting to happen. I wish him well.

Lady K Thanks this.
  4. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    i cant put on here what i really think cause its a family board...but i will say this... CHECK PLEASE!!!!!!

Wargames and Giggles the Original Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some are "naturals". I've seen some with no real-world experience but had lots of "talent" that would be far safer and able than many of the "fresh out of mentoring phase" that are hitting the streets every day. I would like to think, though, that the driver exhibited some very quality driving during the "test run" .... which would possibly bring into question, maybe he wasn't a "newbie", maybe he had experience with a small, now bankrupt business, and maybe he had some sort of major incident/accident he would like to keep his little secret.

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    NYC, no, probably not. I can't say too much because I never had a trainer so he's actually a little ahead of when I started out. But I didn't go straight to NYC either.

7. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I hope for their sake they're paid up on their insurance premium....no wait, check that. I hope they aren't paid up so they get sued and are forced out of the transportation industry for making such stupid decisions.

8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Years ago that was the only way a guy became a trucker. Today, you need your hand help...

112racing, papa1953, misc and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

but back in the ol days..thats how it was....here are your keys, heres ur truck, go del. your load.....thats how CB started....i cant say thats the best plan...especially not NYC...but ....

Wargames and slim shady Thank this.
  10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

Kansas, you did ur post while i was writin mine i guess...lol

Kansas Thanks this.
  11. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Never been to NYC. I started the same way the op is talking about, Driving the streets of Chicago, Is Nyc any worse than Chicago?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.