your opinion please... mechanic to owner operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by koncrete cowboy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hello everyone. Im new to the board been reading a lot last two weeks here and id like you opinion on my situation. First off ive been a class8 mechanic for 27 years.im about to retire and would like to drive now and see the world lol. Earlier this year I bought mack cx and went completely thru it.evrything is fresh.the cliff notes on the truck are Highrise sleeper wabasto etc.so basiclylong haul ready.no lien. Havemy cdl hazmat .ok with that being said heres the question. Because of no recent otr experience I gotta go with swift or Schneider to learn the ropes.ive owned successful business es before so I understand taxes and such.As owner operators after I put in my time with swift or another whats your advice to go from there? I was looking at Prime but am open for all suggest ions. By the way..... thanks to all u guys and gals out there slinging gears cause thanks to you all my kids got to eat every nite! I took great pride in every truck I ever spun a wrench on!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    how about staying where you. and telling us the location and starting your own business.

cuz a lot of us are looking for a good mechanic that can fix the crap right. the first time.

i mean. going in for a oil leak. and having the same seal replaced 3 times by 3 different kenworths. i'm hoping a plugged crankcase breather was the problem. it seems to be finally drying out.

koncrete cowboy Thanks this.
  4. Hammertyme

Hammertyme Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Just remember some companys have a age limit on the tractor and Cali will soon require all tracs and trls to be smart way certified to enter the state if u planned to.

5. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I feel your pain believe me!!! Ive seen guy actually cry when they pull into the shop cause they were so frustrated.

6. morr2fab

morr2fab Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Going from a mechanic to a OTR, wow thats like living on earth then moving to the sun.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I think it gives you a big leg up on controlling costs. Good companies don't have equipment age restrictions, take that to the bank. Good luck.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

8. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. I shoulda said the macks a 2011

9. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    It was originally a hi rise.the driver made it a mid rise. Lol. I bought it replace d the top refreshed the motor and drivetrain. Looks and drives like new.I thought about hiring someone to drive it but there again I dont know the industry side like you all do.

10. Junkyard Johnney

Junkyard Johnney Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    Plains,Mt
    Check out Landstar, can't say first hand but all the O-Os I have talked to that are with them are doing well and satisfied, if I ever gave up my own authority, hahaha, thats where I would go.......the other two brands you mentioned ? I would go back to my mechanic biz before that....

11. Bulldog power

Bulldog power Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    First off I would keep wrenching like all the others said but I'm sure u won't and you'll find out y we said that on your own lol. Whereabouts are ya from. I run for a good company with good honest people who will keep you moving. You do need your own authority and a wet line on your truck though. We r from south central Pennsylvania

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.