your opinion please... mechanic to owner operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by koncrete cowboy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. TORQUE WRENCH

TORQUE WRENCH Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2008
    CHANDLER,AZ.
    concrete cowboy, you and I have a lot in common. After working 28 years in a truck repair shop I had enough and took my tool box home. Im also wanting to become an o/o in due time. I am currently a company driver now and have been for 2 1/2 years. Learning the ropes and saving as much money as I can for when I make the jump in the next 6 to 12 months.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thats awesome!! Dont miss the grease yet? Lol my wife hates the smell of 90w

4. mikec265

mikec265 Medium Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Dumbed Down Land, WTF
    If you go for schneider go to the tanker division. The training is very good. BUT DO NOT HAUL TANKS FOR THEM WITH YOUR TRUCK! they wont pay what its worth. But why would you run with a tracking device if you dont have to? Freedom is important.

When you were wrenching which drivers claimed to be making the best money?

5. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    We do all o/o and locals.no. mega carriers as they have there own shops. Owner is retiring as am I. I been working nights as I am by myself.im down to my last 30 days.owner selling off everything and not much to do anymore so I creep around on this forum a lot. Lol shpping now for a gps for my cx. Boss is giving me it instead of the gold casio.lmao

6. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    When I was in the army. We got a new guy. The sergeant had him go around to all the other shops in the motor pool looking for a can of A.I.R. It took all afternoon. Somebody took an aerosol can and stuck a homemade label on it and sent him back with his can of A.I.R.

7. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    :biggrin_2559: thatsfunny. I like that one

8. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Well guess I made up my own mind or should I say the recruiters made up my mind for me.No one and I mean no one wants a guy with zero otr.rejections came in from Schneider today lol.so bump it! Gonna look into the o/o part now instead.will check out the authority issues and dot etc here. Gonna join ooic too.ill roll the cx out a little soo er than expected thats all.how do neewbies even get a chance anymore? Seems if you wanna drive ya gotta buy your own.lol.figured id drag a driver outta retirement for awhile and let him go with me to show me the ropes.

9. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Some companies hire with no experience, but you must have recently graduated from a truck driver training school. I assume you don't wanna go through a school. You might check a few more companies. Good luck.

10. koncrete cowboy

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Have my cdl for 20 years.have put lots miles on road tests. But it makes no difference.lol to them anyway.told em I could pass a road test no problem .....still no

11. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Can't make any money, you know that. Haul something expensive. Make yourself a needed transportation.
    Or work at a burger joint.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.