Your OWN shop!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KenworthGuyNH, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm going to tag along here. Looking at putting up a shop with an apartment later this fall.

Thinking shop to be 90 long, by 40? wide, at least long enough to get a truck and lowboy (that I don't even own yet) in and thawed out, and a nice big shop to work on and build kit trucks, slavage, etc.

Want to put the apartment outside of the footprint of the shop, should be easier to block shop smells from entering the 'living space'

Also 16' tall doors so I can fit a truck with a stand up sleeper and or tall stacks in the thing!

SMTatham Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    PeAreas for pressure washer/cleaning , drain, painting/body work. parts cleaning. storge for multiple projrcts. bathroom shower septic laundry room for greasy clothes.. sink hot water. Lots more on the want list. tho $ gets it done

SMTatham Thanks this.
  4. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    Big. With very tall doors.

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    A couch, a fridge full of cold beer and a mean German Shepherd Dog.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    We built one back in 2007 IIRC. 110 ft long with a 80 ft wide clear span. We have 3 bays for loaded tractor trailers plus another bay for doing repairs. We heat with waste oil but that is getting hard to find since Safety Kleen has started paying for it. We do not have in floor heating but I wish we did (all the heat rises to the ceiling).

Don't put the compressor outside the office or you won't be able to hear when you're on the phone.

SMTatham Thanks this.
  7. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I would build a closet for the air compressor and put a window A/C unit in to give the compressor dehumidified air.

8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Good lighting is a must, we had the vapor lights in the one shop, and if I would of had a white epoxy floor, I wouldn't of needed a drop light to see under vehicles. A/C heat is a must, good tunes and a TV on a rolling cabinet, a nice wash bay, shower and cabinets.

SMTatham Thanks this.
  9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Actually, speaking of A/C, I forgot this: We put a door at either end for drive in drive out purposes, but as it turns out, just by dumb luck we oriented the length of the building the same way as the prevailing SW winds in the summer. As a result, with the doors open at both ends we have really good cooling in the summer. Also, the concrete floor tends to sweat and the wind really eliminates that also.

So, if possible, situate your building with the prevailing summer winds (more or less) and put doors at both ends.

10. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    a good hoist, dock, fork lift, office, shelf for paper back manuals, computer,

a secret door with a secret passage to a secret room,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.