Your Thoughs on working for ABF

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Nightwind8830, Dec 27, 2013.

1. swiff

swiff Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Lol I have come a long way since that post u quoted. Went took all my endorsement went to Smith and Solomon in Linden new Jersey passed my road test last week. Signed up with Schneider which suppose to start in August.

So far things are good minus the little hiccups I have with the truck and insurance cost.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Man talk about a horse and a cart n the wrong order.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  4. swiff

swiff Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Sometimes things work out that way. It is something different for me. Even with experience I am sure there is usually issues so why not dive in and take a risk sometimes.

5. joewispers

joewispers Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    Just spoke to a guy doing a delivery an he gave me the shopy"s name, said he would put in a good word for me, told me to swing by there on Mon. trying to get in to that Bayshore spot.

6. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    That's the only one on the island

7. joewispers

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    Would go where ever they want if i get the job...:yes2557:

8. joewispers

Dec 21, 2013
    Amityville,N.Y.
    Spoke to the hiring Manager and he told me to call back after i updated my app. so i did and was told to call back on Mon. (last) at 7pm that he was covering for someone on va-ca. did that and was a bad time for him said he would call me back, did"t hear from him, been a week so on my way home i did what i said in post above(234) glad i did because the driver filled me in on some stuff...

9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Just updating this thread. Just interviewed with abf and they seem like an excellent company. By time I have my affairs in order I will have about 1 year CDL experience. I interviewed for a city driver p/d position. A couple of questions. 1) with driving experience , how likely is it that I would get stuck on the dock making the $13/hr? I can't survive off that for long but would do it for a while to get a foot in the door with a solid company. 2) are they going to want me to go to driver school? 3) how often would I actually drive starting out ? I mean Drive , making the driver rate of pay? This is for the San Francisco Bay Area terminals.

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    ask yourself... is the pay worth the move compared to your current situation.

or worth putting down a different address :biggrin_25520:

11. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    I turned down the P&D position in Portland for the same reason you are questioning it. The guys who had been there longer than the last contract were making driver pay on the dock. I asked them about how often they drive. Two guys who had been there since 2004 only drove about 3-5 days a year. The rest of the time was the midnight shift on the dock. They were getting full driver pay. I would be getting the $5/hour less for working the dock. I turned it down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.