Your thoughts on Peterbilt 387 (13 or 18 Speed)?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by vijay, Jul 21, 2011.

1. vijay

vijay Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2011
    California
    Wanted to stop by and say “hello” to all, I got my Class A recently :O_o_1PIRATES10:. I have been contemplating a Peterbilt 387 (used) with CAT -15/13. What are your personal opinions on Peterbilt 387? Just checking, I do not want to start a firestorm on Peterbilt Versus other brands....I just happen to like Peterbilt Highway models.

Also, what transmission do you prefer 13 speed or 18 speed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Welcome to the forum! You will find a great bunch of guys here.
    Now on to your question. Peterbilt vs...
    Kinda like ford vs chevy,
    I perfer an 18 but most will tell you otherwise. Again the ford/chevy thing.
    After everyone has giving you their preference, V8 will probably tell everyone that European trucks dont need a transmission. (Sorry, couldnt help myself).
    Again, most anything with truck specs is a personal thing.
    If you are considering buying a truck, may i suggest spending some time in a company truck first.... as Jim says, just a thought

4. vijay

vijay Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2011
    California
    Thanks Black_dig106, one other question, is it too much gears to shift with a 18 speed? Also, why are all the 387 with 22.5 wheels. I rarely see 24.5 wheels on these. Any particular reason, why truckers prefer 22.5 versus 24.5

5. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    What is your application for this truck? That makes a huge difference in trany preference.

6. black_dog106

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    whs X2
    18 speed can be skip shifted, meaning you can drive it like a 9 speed, a 13 speed or whatever combination you desire. I skip shift alot, especially when empty. But the 18 is there when you want it.
    As i said before, many members have other favorites, an 18 happens to be mine.

7. vijay

vijay Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the reply guys,
    As far as application goes, It's for a personal business that involves transporting bikes, ATV, particular classic cars or an combination of it and hopefully lots of it.
    The driving school that I went to, the instructor said that 18 speeds are inherent with trans problems etc...but I figured 18 speed ought to give you that extra edge when needed both in terms of MPG and torque.
    what kind of MPG can I expect with, say, 35K loaded with C15 an 18 speed? Again, apologize for all the newbie questions

8. Nevs

Nevs Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    flyover country (Iowa)
    I think I'd have found a different instructor about then. My last truck had 1.2 million miles on it's eighteen speed before it was ever touched. Doesn't sound like a problematic transmission to me. The instructor should be ashamed of himself....:biggrin_2559:

9. black_dog106

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    whs X2
    the driver is the biggest influence on transmission life. Any transmission will stand up as long as it is rated for the torque and not abused. With a good driver trans will still take it even when not rated for engine torque...:biggrin_25514:

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    387 is a cheaply built fleet truck. Had several brand new ones when I was a company driver. Had just as many squeaks and rattles as a century class FL. The hoods rattle like crazy and need hold downs added on like normal trucks have. the doors prone to get sprung.. very poorly engineered IMO.You could do worse but not by much..

11. melpromud

melpromud Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    camden ny
    Right out of school and your going to buy a truck? You dont know the first thing about trucks or trucking. If your asking questions like you are your not ready to own a truck. Go drive someone elses and learn the industry. Then try to find a job with a small mom and pop company or owner opp and get your hand dirty. Have them teach you how to change you own tires, breaks and basic maintance. If you cant do the basics your self you will most likely fail as an owner opp. Trucking school dose nothing but get you a licence to drive a truck. It dont teach you anything about trucking and only teaches the bare minium about trucks to pass a road test. A rookie going out and buying a new truck and thinking hes going to make a living as a owner opp is a pipe dream. You will almost surly fail. Dont do it till you get a few years experence. And never lease a truck from a company! Thats a sure way to lose everything!:biggrin_25512:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.