Your thoughts on Peterbilt 387 (13 or 18 Speed)?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by vijay, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ProduceHauler

ProduceHauler Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    To add to Hammer166 post - the difference might be that if you find 18 speed 387 - chances are it have had better past life as it takes O/O who knows his stuff or good family operation to go for the best transmission on the market - others will never be interested in paying premium price.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProduceHauler

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    Another thing you want to do is look for "Premium" interior, standard is below minimum expectations. You will get full gauges, full cabinets, eventually carpet floor and most importantly - you will have a chance for "Weather Package", incredible insulation that makes 387 quieter than Volvo. Here is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Good point!

5. ProduceHauler

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    Hey, Hammer - so what did you ended up buying back then ? (instead of 387) and why?

6. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I happened to run into one of those "too good to pass up" deals. A Sterling that had been in a minor jack knife. Got it for $20k less than anything comparable and I saw the insurance pics so I knew the extent of the damage. It was a good truck (one of the early ones, so it hadn't been Freightlinered like this Star I have now.) I only sold it because I started hauling cars.

I still like the look of the 387, and still shake my head when I see the exhaust. :-/

7. ProduceHauler

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    Some people say 387 got few lines or shapes from Sterling, I find his disturbing but there is something to it... Roofline, interior etc. Interesting at least.
    I'm wondering how could they do it better (exhaust routing) but can't see it really, was Sterling dual exhaust equipped as well?

8. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yes, twin mufflers inboard of the fuel tanks, and a LONG piece of open pipe up the back. Had an awesome sound, the jakes just kind of rumbled.

I think they should have brought the pipes on the 387 up the outside of the frame, that would eliminate all those dang elbows. Or at least used 45's instead of 90's.

9. ProduceHauler

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    I was thinking about doing some changes with the mufflers, but then realized I just love my jake-brake way too much, use it all the time since its so dam* quiet. With louder mufflers would catch some undesired attention at night in populated areas. I like my Stealth Mode better.

45's are not really possible unless you mount the mufflers "wide", like the classics have it on the sides of the cab - at least I can't see it

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    One other thing I hated about the 387 was the huge blindside looking over the hood to the right. One good thing about aero trucks is the excellent visibility they offer versus a "hood". 387 is the exception here its visibility is as bad or worse than a hood.

11. ProduceHauler

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    True, it would suck to drive it as a city truck. Because it is not a city truck. It is a Premium Long Haul Aero truck and visibility over the hood or over the dashboard doesn't matter as you need to be focused on stuff 1/4 mile ahead rather then 4 feet beside you. If you let anything get so close to your truck without your knowledge and make you surprised - you need different line of work for sure.

Little glas surfaces on 387 are direct legacy of 359 models. Because too much sunlight hurts the eye over long drive. Just look at this, what you see is that nice, shady coziness only best southern jazz club can provide:

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.