Your training program

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by ThatFlatbedGuy2013, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

ThatFlatbedGuy2013 Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    Sucks. As you are probably aware, I used to work for y'all a month ago (not anymore, no sirey). I'm here in Waynesville, NC at the Pilot where one of your van drivers hit a Swift truck while pulling into a parking spot. I've talked to him shortly after the incident (and he knows what he did wrong), and I can tell you its how he left training. Month and a half on the road, and when he came to Western he only had a week of on the road training before he was asked to recover a truck and then dispatch decided to start running him from there, and he was given a DM and out of training. A week. I've seen a few other van drivers screw up while I was with y'all, and from what I gather, it's due to a lack of training. If y'all want safe drivers, you need to give those who have less than three months of driving a required 1-2 month training program before letting them go solo. Those who have over 3 but less than six perhaps a 1 week eval before letting them go solo. And they have to finish this training no matter what, and shouldn't be allowed to drive solo no matter what till their training is complete. I hate to have to frown every time I see a Western Express as it reminds me of your bad policies. I always hoped to look back at Western Express as a good experience in my career as a trucker, but at this point, I just don't see that happening.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    Guess what WELCOME TO TRUCKING!!!! and there are worse major carriers out there

4. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    And problems aren't going to fix them selves with that 'welcome to trucking' attitude, and that's actually, why they don't get solved is because every time someone brings up an issue there's always someone to say 'WELCOME TO TRUCKING'. I guess your going to say, 'WELCOME TO LIFE' next right?

5. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    This is more than a pet-peeve of mine. I get so disgusted with major carriers who knowingly (yes, they know) send out new drivers with little to virtually no experience.
    I think your recommendation on training time is a bare minimum. However even if newer drivers get the months of training, the main thing is, just how good are the trainers?

6. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    Yep. I was trained for 2 months when I first started. My first trainer was a 32 year vet. (maybe 34 can't remember). He was a very good trainer. My second one had 16 years, but he was more of the cowboy type and would repeatedly tell me he wasn't no professional, just a truck driver every time the term pro was thrown at him. He was good too, if you did something wrong, he'd show you how to do it right, etc. Before that I had about a week of classroom, something like that. I've seen a lot of bad ones too, where they don't want to train, they just want the miles.

7. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    man I didn't say it as an insult but would u rather hear lies. u want truths ok here u go companies will promise u the bucket of gold under the rainbow when u decide 2 believe there promises when everybody gets the bonuses from u coming 2 said trucking company the ride turns until maybe u prove yoself 2 your DM that ur not a person that BS ON A LOAD maybe he will get u home in 3wks more/less when they promised u every weekend when u signed on with said company. So there during yo said trucking carrey u will experience good,great,ok,bad,terrible,BS of trucking THEN u if u drive 3 late forget about good parking if u don't stop yo trk between 4-9pm u got the parks that's real hard 2 get into or pick a ramp. Or what about if u got bubble gut all of sudden no gas station around I accommodate 18wheels and no rest stop around it's either poop on yoself or pick a ditch/catwalk. or how often u shower while on road I did every other day but what if ur on tight load no time for shower do u remain stinky and get load there or take shower and be late this us y drivers that care bout their hygiene keep baby wipes on trk . Being a driver is not all peaches and cream it's a learning process depend on what u learn and how u learn it I been a driver for 2 1/2 years I learned alot but my best lesson was 2 keep a pair of vice grips on trk bcaz trucking companies have messed up trailers when u want 2 move tandems and it want lock so u can adjust them pull that pin out and lock them vice grips on that pin u want have no problem moving yo tandems forward or backwards when u get the hole u want pop vice grips and pin will go back but watch hand I busted couple knuckles when I didn't move fast enough that lesson was hard way on moving tandems when pin want lock out what else I want 2 no I got bout handful tricks some easy some hard

8. ThatFlatbedGuy2013

Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere in the US of A
    My message was to the safety nuts that dwell on this forum. I know someone from safety dep from Western, that watches this board, or at least did anyways. Dispatch went through a loop hole to get said driver I'm talking about out of training and on the road, and they'll do this under their bosses nose when they aren't suppose to. If you want to share your stories of bad trip planning feel free but I've never had been forced to chose a ramp or an empty lot, unless I put it in my plan to do so. If I have to take a ####, I find a place even if that means the side of the road at a local gas station. I do not keep baby wipes at me cause 95% pct of the time I'm at a place with decent showers. I have split axles, I can't nor do I need ton worry abput moving tandems. The best tools that I keep with me are my load bar, and my hands. I make don with what I have and have no tools what so ever in this truck. If i need to tighten a screw. I use a knife or ask around for someone that has a screw driver I can borrow. And infer home .ost every weekend unless I choose otherwise. I plan a couple more loads and I will be home this weekend. Didn't get home this weekend cause dm found great load that even of i had a choice would not turn down, that and there just wasn't a load going towards the house.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.