Your view of the logbook rules

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by freedhardwoods, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    You have only "broken" laws if your are caught....Just saying.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    It's broken before you get caught, there just aren't any consequences. I think the OP quote was more about if you start letting some things slide where does it stop? It gets easier and easier to justify bending the rules until that the norm. Now when you bend your new comfort level it gets that must worse, so you're initial "not so bad" intentions start to become "just a bit more bad". So where does it end? Beats me, it's probably a good idea to reflect on that and accept the consequences of your actions. So if you chose to violate whatever rule don't blame the cop, CSA, safety guy, or whomever just take your medicine and learn from it.

4. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Things are gonna slide no matter what... It's just the nature of the business. Do some get caught and face the consequence? Sure, that's also part of it. Every driver needs to worry about their own business, if some choose the 'fudge' HOS regs... So be it, if they are caught... then they must face the consequences. (many are fine with that)

On the other side of the coin, we also see the idiot EOBR users bolting 35+ MPH through truck stops after they fuel... to make some time and make their delivery... strictly following HOS regs... Oh, yeah... That's being really safe. :roll:

5. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    Even though I started my last post with a pointed statement, I didn't intend for this to be a bashing thread. More later. No time now.

wsyrob Thanks this.
  6. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    I just re-did my logbook. Ive got all kinds of time now :biggrin_25525:

7. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    On the other side of the coin, we also see the idiot EOBR users bolting 35+ MPH through truck stops after they fuel... to make some time and make their delivery... strictly following HOS regs... Oh, yeah... That's being really safe. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I run US287 ALOT and a bunch of these law abiding E-loggers burn through the little towns at 5-10 over the limit all the time. I am amazed more of them are not stopped for speeding. I do not speed through towns ever. I have never had an accident or a ticket in a commercial vehicle (other than one over axle in Cali in 1994) no moving violation EVER! No speeding violations, no nothing. I am so sick and tired of do gooders telling me that I am a menace on the road because I occasionally violate the HOS rules. Generally it's a couple hours over 14 because I choose to stop and fuel, eat and shower in the middle of my run and then finish off 2 or 3 hours of driving.

Cowmobile and shredfit1 Thank this.
  8. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    I hear you and agree. I honestly do not know what their(certain drivers) deal is with HOS and why EVERYONE must comply, because they must...(an I'm not talkin' about being an idiot and running 1000 miles a day either). Jealousy?

There is no evidence that HOS regs have ever improved safety... Yet, they seem to think that doing so, should had the stiffest of penalties. Moreover some even claim EOBR's are great and help the company... Perhaps some do need them... just like the 8 year old that lives across the street from me still needs a baby sitter....

Then again, some of us driver do NOT need baby sitters.

9. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Anybody that thinks I'm going to take a 10 off when I'm a little more than an hour from home (Which is where I end up 2 or 3 times a month) is breaking the law smoking whatever it is that makes them think that.

Likewise if they think I will take a 10 in Castaic at 1 AM & then drive through LA traffic to get to my destination.

The amount of logbook cheating and number of outlaw truckers has decreased a bunch over the years, but the number of self-righteous, delusional morons in the industry has increased as least as much.

The number of self-righteous, delusional morons in positions of authority has increased even more.

shredfit1 Thanks this.
  10. albhb3

albhb3 Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    ya know my dad always told me the story of a guy he knew got stopped and was asked for his log book. Unfortunatly he grabbed the wrong one. {THEY} as in 4 or 5 were under his seat and got sent to the slammer for 6 months and his licence was revoked.

11. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    I wont lie to you i have and still do run Outlaw at times. Its the nature of the Beast. And as stated if im an hour from home why would i shut down to take a 10 hr nap (not gonna happen in my truck). I feel for the company drivers who have these recorders and e-logs and any other BS companies can cram into the truck. Trust me if they work their 8 or 9 hours i can make a million dollar bet that not one of them would say i have to stay at the office cause i worked over my 8 hrs and dont dare go home because im in violation. you can bet they are hauling ##### home to a hot dinner/warm bed/ and sports center..

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.