Your view of the logbook rules

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by freedhardwoods, Jan 27, 2012.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. I said in the post you quoted.

I am fine with wherever anyone else draws that line. Its their business.

shredfit1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    oops, I thing I pressed the wrong quote button... reading another thread... and failed to reread the quote... my bad

:biggrin_25525:

wsyrob Thanks this.
  4. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    One of the old tricks we used "back in the day"; If you were really over on your hours and couldn't make it look right on paper, if you were asked for your funny book you would pretend to look for it, and then tell the officer I must have left it at the truck stop. I was eating lunch and doing my log and must have left it on the table. The ticket and fine for no log book was less severe than a ticket for knowingly violating the HOS regulations. You used one of your licenses {not the one from your home state}, got a money order ASAP, and paid the fine. Some officers were even willing to let you pay your fine with cash, before they even wrote the ticket.:biggrin_25520:

5. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    I agree that most drivers that used to run outlaw don't do it much anymore, but it isn't because their attitude about it has changed. Their are 3 main reasons.

1 -Power hungry officials that think they know how to run your life better than you do.

2 - Enforcement officers on a ticket-writing power trip and/or they are afraid of getting in trouble or sued if they don't strictly enforce the law.

3 - The threat of being sued over some of the most asinine things that was in no way the fault of the driver, but a lawyer makes them completely at fault in any possible way including using the logbook against them.

To sum it up, drivers aren't running legal because of an increased level of morality in their views on logbooks, it's because of the lack of morals in other people.

Many of the new drivers that have never known anything except punching buttons on their eobr don't have any morals (or brains) about anything. They always have two things on their mind when they're driving;

1 - Keep the throttle to the floor no matter where they are because they are racing the eobr clock. (That's real safe and moral. :roll:)

2 - Screw you if it gains me anything. They are so self centered it doesn't even enter their mind to try to show any courtesy at all.

That may be true but it is at the cost of your home time. If I'm going to be sitting around, I want to do it at home, not in a truck stop twiddling my thumbs waiting for my clock to start again.

Johnny99 and allniter Thank this.
  6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

just because i dont exactly tell the truth in my book etc doesnt mean i will murder someone....altho i feel like it on a daily basis...i remember the 1st time i ever blew a set of scales...loaded a load of iced down brocolli...over 86000......headed to dallas ...had to blow san simon(still open then) and lordsburg...ha...memories:biggrin_2559:

7. hellomcflywakeup

hellomcflywakeup Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2011
    fla,opps fl
    law,no matter what it is will cause someone to want to break it.guess it's human nature to not want to be caged.the down side is there are dumb people in the world.since we can't weed em out we have to live our lifes based on them and only them.so much for everyone is equal....

8. hellomcflywakeup

hellomcflywakeup Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2011
    fla,opps fl
    Just to add to the thread.It was'nt that long ago when i started driving.That loads were booked on mph in each state with maybe 10/15% time added to it.You had to run 15+ hours just to make it on time.not all loads but most.they did'nt take into account if you had been at a dock all day and had no sleep.i have ran many a day @ 18 hours.the most i have went in 1 day is around 800 miles.never took 1 drug,don't smoke,drink,drug,energy drink coffee nothing.not that i would'nt drink coffee or use an energy drink,but they do 0 for me nothing.i can drink a pot of coffe and go str8 to bed.just the way it is.never been in 1 wreck.i have a super clean record minus 1 speeding ticket years ago.

do i think im a "super trucker"nope never crossed my mind.do i rag others for how they drive?nope everyone is diffrent.i call it just doing the job/task with what im given to do it with.but because some dip #### that was given his lic/cdl out of a crackerjack box messes up we all have to pay.bs.dot is'nt making up these rules to keep us safe,becasue they have some pretty lame rules that has nothing to do with safety.but rather they use the braindead as a reason to make laws so they can have more ways to take your money.seatbelt law anyone?school buses don't even have em yet we are evil crazy road demons with we don't wear em.guess some people never grew up and still need their hands held.

:nike::director:

9. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    As a little side note, I always used one of my friends as the "super trucker" standard to compare against. He had a regular run every week.

Leave southern IN Saturday night, unload and reload in southern CA Monday, unload and reload in Philly on Thursday, back home on Friday. 6000 miles every week.

He paid a retired driver to keep up his cdl, dot physical, etc. One thing that really helped - His truck would run 110 mph.

10. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    That or just show a co driver on your trip. When the DOT asks, just tell them you dropped him off at home about a 100 miles back :biggrin_25525:

11. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    The old scale at wb Greenwood Neb, it sat just off the interstate. You had to take the exit ramp to get to it. At night we would turn our lights off and blow by it. Never got caught. The one on I 71 sb at Ashland Oh, used to do the same thing there. Fun times back then.:biggrin_25514:

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.