You've ALMOST Talked Me Into Taking the Export Plunge!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by The Gryphon, May 29, 2014.

1. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

Ditto -- what he said. Even with a small PA speaker plugged into the rear apron, they're about useless unless you're indoors and there are no other sounds -- like running engines -- before they're heard. Probably useful to clearly label the new functions on the switch's escutcheon. Also, if you're able (or your tech is) to change the color of the backlighting or *something* to warn you that the radio is running at its massive 4 watts or so, just to help prevent overdriving your amp.

Ridgeline is one of those folks whom I'd trust to perform the mod correctly and without butchering the other (and unrelated) adjustments. There are several folks here. Just look for someone local who has a bench that looks like some from Mission Control at NASA and can explain their use.

If you stumble across a "tech" whose bench is populated only by a Rat Shack SWR/power meter (or even a Dosy with a huge dial), an assortment of metal screwdrivers, and a pair of diagonal cutters, nobody would fault you if you left skidmarks on the floor enroute to the exit :)

Good luck & 73

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Headed to Ray's CB Shop in West Memphis to get the mess that Atlantic Coast Communications made of my Cobra 29 LX straightened out.

4. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Andy at Ray's CB Shop fixed me up!!

Turns out that David, the "tech" at Atlantic Coast Communications, couldn't even make a coax jumper, much less work on a radio!

Andy took one look at the connectors on the coax and knew they weren't put on correctly.

So he tested them with his meter and they had no continuity. So, he removed them and put them back on properly. At no charge, BTW!

Then he fixed what David had messed up inside the radio.

Now my Cobra 29 LX has a 4 watt DK and a 35 watt swing.

He then demoed the modulation with the amp on and off and it sounds almost exactly the same, as it should. Aftet all, external amps are for distance not modulation, right?

No distortion, crystal clear modulation.

I like it!

5. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

That's great that Andy was able to fix the RF connectors easily and for free. I am concerned, however, that for a 4 watt deadkey he has you pushing your radio's output considerable beyond the point of being linear and that you're now occupying 3 or 4 channels up and down from whatever you've got dialed up. At full modulation, you're only putting about 6 watts into your chosen channel; the rest of it is going God knows where, assuming it's even staying in-band -- and that's not even guaranteed.

"No distortion, crystal clear modulation" maybe if you're only listening on your chosen channel, but I'll wager a lot of "WTF is that noise coming from?" from several channels nearby -- or up in the NAVAIDS section of the aircraft band.

At this point, though, since your radio has already been raped by two places, I'd just turn down the power mic or the Dyna-mic pot on the radio so that you're keeping all your power on the channel you mean to be on. It's an unfortunate truism that wattmeters are dumb devices; they have no idea what frequency the power they're measuring is on. They just add it all up and report the total.

And as to your question: external amps *should* be for extra range, but if they're being fed with a wildly over-modulated signal, then they'll amplify *that*, too. Then people even farther away can have their nearby channels destroyed, with the occasional aircraft looking for a VOR station or NDB wondering that that clattering sound is in spectrum where they should only hear Morse modulated a.m. signals.
    <sigh>

6. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, before the 1st guy turned the DK down, the radio (out of the box) had a 6.5w DK and was swinging to 30. At least that's what he showed me on his meter. Don't know if he was somehow cheating or misrepresenting the wattages.

So what wattages for DK and "swing" SHOULD a properly tuned CB radio have? Is there some desired ratio between DK and swing wattage?

I'm getting frustrated with one guy saying that it should be this with that swing and another guy saying, no that guy is full of #####, it should be this!

Is all of this stuff just guys' opinions? I thought it was electronics with agreed upon standards/specs, etc. Am I wrong?

I just want a clear sounding radio that I can use to send/receive for 4-5 miles. Why is that so seemingly hard to achieve?

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    with a 4w dk swinging to 30, your probably be OK, I highly doubt anyone will notice any over modulation if there is any...But if you later decide to add a external amp, you'll need to lower your dk back down around 1 1/2- 2 watts...

Amp's do a couple of things...They make you louder, and make your signal stronger so it go's farther...But like what handlbar was saying, "What go's in, comes back out...only louder" so "Trash in-Trash out times-a hundred or more"

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Well he was supposedly "matching" the radio to the amp.

As I posted earlier, he transmitted to another radio with the amp off and then switched it on while transmitting. The sound of the audio was crystal clear and didn't change any noticeable amount at all between when the amp was on or off.

Sounded crystal clear with or without the amp.

Andy said that he's been doing this stuff for nearly 20 years, the last 10 being with Ray's CB Shop, which came highly recommended. He also said that he's done countless numbers of these particular combos (Cobra 29 and RM Italy amps).

So, unless something goes wrong, I think I'm done with letting anyone mess around inside the box.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How does one match the radio to an amp?

I keep hearing this but through the something 40 years of messing with this stuff, I am still puzzled by this idea that the radio needs to be "matched" to the amp?

Could it be that the amp's input circuitry isn't exactly what its supposed to be?

10. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    I think that's just what they call it when they adjust the DK and swing to utilize the amp without significant distortion.

At least that's how I've taken it when they use that phrase.

11. Guvhog

Guvhog Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Tip: unless the amp you're using is meant to be used with a high powered radio, I'd have Andy lower your radio DK to no higher than 2 watts. That will allow your amp to last longer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.