Yrc or Dayton freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 10speedsteve, Dec 23, 2020.

1. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    That's the only reason I stick around at YRC ( my terminal at least) is very relaxed. Bennies are good. If they go belly up I'd have no problem finding another job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Exactly. Seniority is a hard thing to give up, regardless of anything else. But the job is the job.

4. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Less is more for me than.

I've had two jobs my first year, the second one making multiple stops a day and tailgating the freight. Basically like LTL.

But I did ding a bumper in a parking lot few months ago (no ticket). Would that be a hinderace?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. PapawJonez

PapawJonez Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2020
    E’ville, IN.
    depending on where you live, within the next two years Yellow will be the largest LTL Midwest Regional company in the US averaging most drivers 70 to 85k per year.. with free healthcare & the teamsters union representing drivers. for me it’s less of a headache you’re going to have dealing with piss poor micro managers pushing you dangerously down the road to make their daily freight numbers.. you simply do you job

skinnytrucker Thanks this.
  6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    1) From the looks and sound of all this, working for Yellow Freight will be the equivalent of working for United Parcel Service / UPS Freight, as far as management, pay, benefits, working conditions, and stress levels are concerned.
    2) Also, from the looks and sound of all this, Dayton Freight would be a much better option. Drivers still need to do their best to meet delivery schedules, however, it seems as though management, for the most part, leaves well enough alone unless a situation calls for them to step in, same expectations, less stress.
    3) While the pay & benefits may not be as high as a Teamster outfit, it looks as though a driver for Dayton Freight can still earn a decent living, even retiring after so many years.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

The absolute sheer driving force of our national economy - without truck drivers, our entire national economy would come to an absolute standstill - if not outright be dead.
    [​IMG]
    Over the mountains, through the woods, into the valleys, coast to coast, from sea to shining sea - truck drivers can and do go anywhere and everywhere, every day, all year round.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    The problem with Yellow/YRC/Holland/etc is that they have $1.6 billion in debt that’s due in 2024. That’s a massive hole to dig out of in just a few years. Some of the Teamster pension funds are also severely underfunded. Working there would be an incredibly risky bet over the long term.

These days most companies have decent safety programs in place, so you’re not likely to get “dangerously pushed down the road by micro managers.”

USMC 3531, McUzi and bzinger Thank this.
  8. PapawJonez

Dec 2, 2020
    E’ville, IN.
    well you’re wrong. I worked 6 years for another LTL company(Salsa), they do exactly that. the in-house Manager forced tired drivers daily to do extra work. had no respect for drives seniority, customers or the securement of their merchandise. he micro managed drivers down to the minute of every hour, if you stopped to take a piss you missed a delivery or pickup. you could do a thousand things right every single day, however if you didn’t get something done he would find away to make the drivers accountable for his mistakes. at that facility since this guy became manager within a 5 year period there’s been a turnover of 18 drivers.. that terminal only houses 11. I’ve worked at a few facilities over the last 34 years where DM’s push drivers to do impossible and unsafe tasks. if you didn’t do it they would as my former employer put it to me, “sh.t can you”.

LtlAnonymous and bzinger Thank this.
  9. PapawJonez

Dec 2, 2020
    E’ville, IN.
    I’ve talked to some DF drivers who didn’t like working there, same with almost any LTL company really. nonetheless they’re all fairly similar. my former employer wouldn’t pay overtime until after 45 hours, most guys didn’t even get 45 per week where some do pay overtime after 8 like Yellow(AKA) YRC. makes a huge difference even if the hourly rate is a few dollars lower. at Salsa they would work you 14 hours a day, then on those last couple days give you less hours so you wouldn’t get much if any overtime. with the Union companies you get paid daily for those long days.. in a sense your actually getting paid properly plus the insurance is great. I go home now less stressed & feeling good that I work somewhere that doesn’t push the driver too hard. although making less hourly I’m still making slightly more working for yellow as I did the last horrifying years at Salsa.. plus I don’t have some jack.ss Manager throwing a fit at every turn.

LtlAnonymous and bzinger Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Well you're wrong. I can state unequivocally that FedEx Freight is not like that, and they are in fact very reasonable when it comes to safety and seniority. I have friends at ABF and Estes who would say the same thing. I'm sure that you've experienced a lot of terrible managers in 34 years, but things have changed in the age of huge lawsuit verdicts and PR conscious companies. I've never heard of this "Salsa" LTL company, but if they're still around I'd bet they would hold management accountable for high driver turnover and complaints.

And there's still the issue of Yellow's precarious long-term financial situation and the nearly insolvent pension funds.

11. PapawJonez

Dec 2, 2020
    E’ville, IN.
    you’re absolutely right and all we can do is hope in two years that loans paid back and business thrives.. other wise they’ve failed. so far though I’m still getting my weekly paycheck. I seen a guy retire there last month, same guy that’s been saying the last 30 years they wouldn’t be around throughout his career.. ‍♂️

LtlAnonymous and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.