Backing issues

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by FLYMIKEXL, Sep 27, 2016.

1. FLYMIKEXL

FLYMIKEXL Medium Load Member

Even though I have two days left to back I'm finding it real difficult to master off set backing. I got down straight line backing yesterday evening and again this morning but now I'm doing offset backing and its very difficult for me to process. My training is accelerated class and we only get a week to learn 5 backing maneuvers. I'm thinking of my options at this if I don't make the next step. Should I go to a private CDL class or should I go to another trucking company? My instructor did say trucking isn't for everyone but I'm definitely up for the challenge even though I may need to take a different route on my journey.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Dont over think
    Dont over correct
    And remember, your driving the tandems not backing the trailer.

25(2)+2 and FLYMIKEXL Thank this.
  4. FLYMIKEXL

I think I can get it but not in the allotted time frame... 2 days left 4 backing maneuvers left

5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    What are the remaining 4? Off set is super simple once it clicks. Counter turn to aim, chase it out so you can see your tandems, watch tandems till they get just before your preferred pivot point, turn to twist, and chase back under it just Before you want it to Straighten out..

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    if you're doing parallel parking Maneuvers okay it's the same thing just there isn't another truck next to you

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
  8. Knoff1

Knoff1 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2014
    In the mirror if you see your trailer drifting left, You the driver turn the steering wheel the way the trailer is going. This has helped me when backing

9. Pegasus50

Pegasus50 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    street beater's advice is valid. During my CDL Training I couldn't downshift. I knew the technical process but my body wouldn't synch up. An instructer told me to speak the process aloud... which got me outta my head. It really helped my focus. On the Range we were taught to measure angle and distance of the trailer if they had used the advice above I would've saved myself some grief. Hang tough git er done.:cool:

10. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    The best thing I was told when I was in school is to make SMALL corrections. 1/4 - 1/2 steering wheel adjustments. If you start spinning the steering wheel this way and that way, you will definitely not end up where you want to.

street beater Thanks this.
  11. FLYMIKEXL

It's gets crazy because my brain won't process the info I will get if someone speaks me thru it but if I Try it myself I screw up badly... Also they keep switching from daycab to sleeper it messes with me as well

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.