Can't decide, need advice - P&D to LTL?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mikeman7227, May 5, 2016.

1. Mikeman7227

Mikeman7227 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2016
    Hello all, right now I'm looking for a little advice. Currently, I work at FedEx express doing p&d out of the box trucks. I know someone that works at abf and they he says they are hiring, desperately. I do not have my cdl as of yet. Abf does have a training school I can attend, and I am hoping(I think) for a linehaul gig. I'm torn between staying with FedEx and trying to land a RTD job at the airport, or joining abf. Kansas city is where I am. What to do??? Doing 90 stops as a p&d driver a day gets to you after a while, so I know I want to get my cdl. The main question is how....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Also post this in the 'LTL' section.

Mikeman7227 Thanks this.
  4. Mikeman7227

May 5, 2016
    Bobtail Member
    Hello all, right now I'm looking for a little advice. Currently, I work at FedEx express doing p&d out of the box trucks. I know someone that works at abf and they he says they are hiring, desperately. I do not have my cdl as of yet. Abf does have a training school I can attend, and I am hoping(I think) for a linehaul gig. I'm torn between staying with FedEx and trying to land a RTD job at the airport, or joining abf. Kansas city is where I am. What to do??? Doing 90 stops as a p&d driver a day gets to you after a while, so I know I want to get my cdl. The main question is how...

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    If you're guaranteed a position after cdl training, I'll take it. Or ask FedEx to train you on their trucks and get your cdl from them

6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
  7. Mikeman7227

May 5, 2016
    Yeah, if I go to school thru abf I have to work for them for 2 years or they charge me for the schooling. I know FedEx will train me, but I need something to open up first and not get outbid on it. That vacation plan abf has tho...ouch. it's rough. I just want my family to live comfortably to br honost

8. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Doesn't Fed Ex Express train you to get your CDL? I heard it's run exactly like UPS Parcel, where the only way you can get the tractor trailer postion is in-house only, just like UPS's Feeder Driver position. I heard Xpress tractor trailer drivers make over $30 an hour.

9. Mikeman7227

May 5, 2016
    Yeah they will if I can successfully get a position. Here they don't pay 30. More like 22 I believe

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Mikeman7227

May 5, 2016
    A lot of the routes are part time too. I'd have to put in some time before I can get on a full time route

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah, that's what sucks about being in the Parcel industry, whether it's Fed Ex, UPS or USPS. It can take YEARS to land a fulltime gig, and then even MORE years to reach top rate. Switching over to ABF probably won't be any better, because you'll start off on call extra board, unless you can get a linehaul gig from the start, which I don't see that happening.

Boy.... you got a tough question to answer here. In my opion, I would say stick it out, but being around a major city like Kansas City, probably means steady freight work for any LTL company.

Man...it's a tough one to answer.

Mikeman7227 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.