CRST Malone, maybe they're having a bad year, or maybe they are just bad

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by David Schwarz, Jan 9, 2016.

1. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say Malone is the worst company I've ever worked for, however, the word I hear from drivers and dispatchers alike, is that freight is slow.
    There's a few things I feel the need to complain about here tho. I was told that I could use outside load boards (provided the load is posted by an approved broker) as Malones board has very little freight on it. However, when taking this approach, I sense that the dispatcher becomes very unresponsive with me. I believe they are deceitfuly trying to get me to believe that their way is better and that I'll do better using their agents, but this definitely is false ( although utilizing agents when they do offer something better is something I'm still trying to do here). I would definitely do better if they would comply to my own methods of booking loads. They cannot convince me otherwise. I think dispatchers, and agents too easily forget that truck drivers are the ones doing all of the actual manual labor in this industry. With the advancement of computers, load boards, cellphones, etc... they are eventually going to have to accept, that the middle men are going to be deleted out of this industry eventually, and especially with the way they operate nowadays. The economy needs freight to move cheaper, and we can only take away so much from the actual "movers" before the needless occupations in the middle will need to be completely cut. Eventually, and possibly very soon, computers will completely take over your jobs, and the more you hurt drivers, the sooner that day will come, mark my words. Most shippers don't even like you folks, but they deal with it only because there is no better way right now, but the evolution of load boards will soon change that, so I advise you to find ways to make yourself "worth" something to the only indispensable workers in this industry.
    Aside from that, I have started calling agents more timely (but with no luck as they either don't answer the phone on me or they have no freight), because as I've said, my dispatcher is highly unresponsive. I've averaged less than $500 gross (take home, discluding secure equipment expense) per week in the first 15 weeks I've driven for Malone, and I've secured, and tarped plenty of loads. Harder work usually means better pay, but I have never made this little before. I went home for Christmas and New Years (even though I wanted to work New Years), but prior to that, I've stayed out on the road for a solid 2 months without going home. I never refused the loads they give me (assuming compliance was a key to success), and would only try to book freight on my own as a way to minimize down time and increase profit, so that visiting those who miss me back home would actually be possible. This isn't a sad attempt to gain empathy from people that behave carelessly, this is just what I've done to be GOOD at my job. Yet, I'm not becoming an efficient and economically beneficial truck driver, because people are unavailable to book the better than Malone freight that I'm finding (tho I'd take lower paying freight AND work harder because the people I deliver to who needed that good deal will create more freight). Most probably, this is all due to the fear, that guys like me are going to make their jobs follow the path of the dodo. Yet, the way you operate to try and avoid this type of future, is definitely going to land you there faster than 10,000 drivers who are good at not needing you. What you need to consider much more seriously, are the things drivers DO need help with, and in what ways you can provide services for them on THOSE needs. That way, when that day of when something wildly unimaginable happens, like someone starting a company that puts the driver truly in full independence mode, not needing anything more than a good cellphone, and can do without all of your deceitful nonsense, you may actually still be able to offer something that he's willing to pay a fee for.
    You can keep telling me that freight is bad, but while I'm sitting here finding loads that can keep this truck paid, and gross me 4 times as much as your methods are, I'm not really going to concern myself with the crap you want me to believe. I'm going to find the truth, and I'm going to exploit it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Reason for edit: Important info
    MadMac, Toomanybikes and hunted Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    the economy does not need us to move freight cheaper,NOT EVER NEVER..10/4 ??!!

4. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Tyson, I'd help a friend out, working for sub standard wages, if it makes impossible things possible. If the only thing standing between starving people and food is a truck driver willing to break even, then give me a call. If the startup costs of your new business has reached its budget, I'll increase your budget a little this week by giving a helping hand The problem is, I AM breaking even, and no one is helping me out, and im not doing anyone any good. I'm on my way to make nothing again this week

5. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Stop letting them pick your loads and move to a better lane

Doon1971 Thanks this.
  6. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    The middle men may eventually be eliminated, but the ultimate goal is to eliminate us with self driving vehicles.

7. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Not with the current regulation hungry government we have, the instant they make a truck that can completely run without a driver, 95% of the states will ban it.

reefer75 Thanks this.
  8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    What David said. I alone paid a few dollars less than $15,000 dollars in payroll tax in 2015. X's that by however many people earn wages driving trucks.....our jobs are safe....forever. Not to mention the thousands of truck drivers that lump freight off of their truck. The customer isn't going to deal with that.

Self driving trucks are novelties like flying cars. They exist but they aren't common nor will they ever be.

drvrtech77 and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  9. Doon1971

Doon1971 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Hey dave Im working for crst/Malone, im still new there but you must not have payed attention in orientation, because they tell you that's its your job to get your own loads, number 2 we don't have dispatchers, we have FM's, and they don't do much, let alone find you loads its not their job, and you also should have been told don't just take loads from the load board all the time because it's let over freight and cheaper sometimes to, you gotta call the agent's a day before you deliver and get a pre plan lined up, they got better paying freight to offer you. build a relationship with the agents and run in the good paying areas, Im doing just fine here at Malone, I have made a few mistake's and have gone to bad areas but im learning, and their isn't no shortage of freight where im running, you gotta work hard and use the phone hard to calling agents for good paying freight. I just pulled a load that payed the truck over 3.00 a mile.If you fail here its your own fault, remember you have to do everything yourself here, If im to busy I have my wife dispatch me, she calls the agents for me sometimes, everything here is all on you,there is good money you can make here, just ask other drivers where to run,I will give you a hint, In orientation they gave you a paper showing you where the rust belt is, that's where you can make the money.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  10. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Last two agents I've called didn't answer the phone on 3 attempts over the couse of a couple hours. Anyways, that's my point, what are you paying 25% of your money for? For pepole who don't do much? The truck and trailer expenses are taken out of your revenue, that 25% is all profit for crst and used for employees, overhead, etc... Yet, you are saying that you have to be hardcore with the cellphone and calling agents to make it, and the agents make money by taking off the load value, skimming off the top, so your 25% does nothing. They do not offer a service that competes at all with getting your own authority, other than not making you utilize your credit much.

Now let's talk about agents. I've called a lot of agents, some with crst, some with landstar, and some who prefer dealing with small one man operations. You meet these people from the numbers you call off of load boards. Tho I do believe it's good business, and a great way to create more jobs, the only reason shippers use them, in the end, bottom line, is because it's a single phone call, and one person can get you all of the truckers you need. So instead of every shipper needing to hire a few people to find truckers, which would definitely be more beneficial to truckers, to have a direct contact with someone who knows something about the company... NOW, they can call someone who does nothing but find trucks for multiple shippers, thus, you have agents. Getting rid of agents would increase jobs, because on the shippers end, to find trucks would take more work, and they'd have to hire people for that. Those people wouldn't make nearly as much as agents do, but at least there would be a job available for agents to have, and independent truck drivers would be taking the helm on selecting freight a LOT more. I'm totally fine with replacing one 100k salary for seven 30k salaries. It would be ultimately better for everyone aside for the agents. Shippers will make up the majority of their losses by cutting out agents who take a piece of the pie too, plus they will be able to work with their load pay to find that sweet spot, by just posting it on computers and finding out what drivers will accept, instead of negotiating with agents. What the trucking industry needs, is a large company that finally develops software that makes this a reality.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  11. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    No freight in Marshalltown, IA at 9am, looks like I might be stagnant for the weekend, going to have two negative weeks back to back if that's so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.