Hauling Pumpkins?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by double yellow, Oct 2, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Does anyone have any insight into hauling pumpkins, particularly out of Farmington, NM? Do you wind up sitting around half a day to load/unload or is it pretty quick? Do they ship in bins or is it a floor load? Does the driver have to help unload? Does it leave a mess (or odor) in the trailer?

Considering cutting some vents in my van and heading down, but not if it takes as long & is as messy as Christmas trees...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Produce is a crap shoot. Really depends on the shipper, I've never dealt with that one. But every produce load I've done was regrettable.

double yellow Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Doubtful it would be a floor load. But it all depends on the buyer(s) (consignees) how much hassle the load may or may not be. I'd call it a crap shoot, and the broker will probably act like "they don't know anything" either. Better pay darn good. How many stops?

If a multiple stop, you can figure on at least one or two being a pain the butt, and the others being fairly attentive to getting you unloaded. Driver may have to pallet jack the pallets to tailgate or maybe hook up chains to pallets if you have church or festival or store deliveries where they want outside-front-of-store placement

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    As far as produce goes, pumpkins are pretty easy. Basically shipped just like watermelons, will be either floor load or in big pallet sized boxes depending on the customer. Should be no odor problems unless they are rotten or split. And you will most likely be loading at a shed in the middle of no where, each one is different. Some are on top of the ball and will get you in an out in a reasonable time, others will hold you up 18 hours and expect you to run a thousand miles over night. I would hit a scale after loading to be certain it's legal weight. many of these sheds guesstimate the weight.

7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Last time I did it out of farmington it was a hoot. i pulled info a middle of a dirt pumpkin patch in the middle of no where and 5 guys preceded to load the truck. Took them about 3 hours, not so much on hassle but wait time kind of sucked.

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Down to a van trailer place and install some vents with you! 29 days till pumpkin day.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Those are called "gaylords" BTW. :)

If he's pulling a reefer, they would have to be shipped in gaylords, unlike a stake body where they can all be just thrown on the trailer.

Big Don and double yellow Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    He pulls a van. back when I did bands and reefers I absolutely, positively, poured both pumpkins and water melons on the floor. Potatoes to for that matter. I always hated floor loads cause they took forever to hand stack, and so many receivers won't let you sweep out the straw they used for padding

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Hauled watermelons once. If it is anything similar they put them in cardboard box on top of a pallet pre-weighed to 2000 pounds each pallet and load 22 pallets on the trailer. They were fresh from the field and even though the trailer is vented it was like a moist sauna up in there.

The vents were $160 installed at the TA. You could buy the vents for about $20 bucks and buy yourself a drill with 2" bit and cut the holes yourself, just be very careful on the front of the trailer, lots of wiring to miss, highly recommend spend the $160 and let them do it, if they cut a wire they have to fix it. Bonus is you get to post your equipment as VV Vented Van now.

Big Don and double yellow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.