it's really true

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by marksman4570, Dec 26, 2015.

1. marksman4570

marksman4570 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I have over 380,000 miles driving B trains hauling anhydrous ammonia in canada

Plant to plant (s)

We scaled in drove an umbrella handle/question mark shaped driveway ... loaded / unloaded

I backed up 13 feet once....#!!!

We were never taught backing because it was a big no-no at the plant....

Now I'm looking at hauling a reefer stateside and the small dock areas, twisted 90's and everything else that you guys do...

Kinda scary for a guy who needs work but never. Ever backed.

Help ??
    Thoughts ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    you already know the basics driving so all you need is a few runs with another driver and you'll be able to do it.

marksman4570 Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Wow, that's something. I back up my super-b's quite often as the farmers put their bins in some awkward places. It's funny sometimes, you get so use to it that anytime I split the train up to put one of the trailers into the shop you forget that everything is backwards only once instead of twice.
    Two pointers from me.
    Don't be afraid to stop, get out and have a look to make sure you aren't about to hit anything. I've gotten out as many as five or six times if necessary.
    Sometimes I over shoot my target a bit on purpose while backing so that when you pull ahead to straighten out everything lines up just nice.
    It's all about the physics of angles, spatial awareness, and anticipating where you want things to go.

5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Go Slow, Get out and look, turn the wheel towards the problem...open your windows, turn off the radio, hang up the phone.

It takes the trailer about 10 feet to respond to the steering wheel. Plan accordingly.

Practice whenever you get a chance. Practice with trucks around preferably shiny new ones! I am serious about this. You will never get good if you make it easy on yourself. In reality though, go for the easiest space in the lot and plan on walking a little further to the rest room.

When you pull up, pull up straight in front of your nose and use all the space available, and watch the tail of the trailer. When you have the angle you want, then stop the pull up and go backwards.

Did I mention going slow, getting out and looking...do it as many times as is necessary.

marksman4570 Thanks this.
  6. marksman4570

marksman4570 Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Thanks folks. Really.
    I was just never taught how ....
    CF industries literally is drive in,drive out..
    Be it ammonia or fertilizer. ...... spend the night at the plant. Go again the next day....take truck to company yard at weeks end... pull in turn right park....
    All in and out... guess I was lucky ... but not so lucky....
    Yes in Saskatchewan I saw guys back b trains everywhere. Before ammonia hauling started the farmer I worked for had 14000 acres
    He set up all his bins,barns,and yard for drive through entry and exit

After getting $10,000 auger heads run over and damaged, plus hopper damage .... he changed it all..

7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Put a lawn trailer behind your riding mower or ATV. If you can back that WELL. ... a 53 is a piece of cake.

That's the best teaching tool I know of.
    Such a short wheel base that you constantly have to correct your steering or you'll be knotted up quickly.

When you get into the rig , the trailer tandems are 40-45ft behind the coupling and you have so much more adjustment time.

This works

uncleal13, Al. Roper and marksman4570 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.