off road diesel

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by sanddollar, Nov 16, 2015.

1. sanddollar

sanddollar Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2015
    mass
    Hi

is it legal to put off road diesel in reefers?

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I wouldn't recommend it. An engine that is designed to run on the ultra-low sulphur diesel can be severely damaged by running a high-sulphur fuel.

4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yes it is. Companies keep track of all reefer fuel purchases and if the driver puts regular on road fuel in the reefer tank, they file for a refund of the road tax.
    Some truckstops have separate pumps for off road diesel, and it may be dyed RED. It is illegal to put RED diesel in the truck fuel tanks and a hefty fine is imposed if caught.

Dominick253 and sanddollar Thank this.
  5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Offroad diesel is the same as road diesel except offroad has no highway taxes since it is not meant to be used to propel a vehicle down the state and federal funded highways and roads the taxes are used to maintain. So yes, you want to be using offroad diesel or tax free diesel in the reefer for sure.

I have a small gas generator, I write off the gasoline for it as it is used in an offroad capacity.

Dominick253, flood and sanddollar Thank this.
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Hasn't been "high-sulphur" for years. Even new farm equipment has all of the emissions crap on it these days requiring ULSD.

Dominick253 and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  7. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Off road is in all my reefer trailers, never had any problems. And yes, perfectly legal.

sanddollar Thanks this.
  8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Only difference is the color dye to identify it.....its all the same now...from on road to off to home Heating...All ULSD....dyed to identify what purpose its used for......And to catch you runnin off road etc in truck......and of course depending on state u purchase in how much bio mix has been added....

TGUNKEL and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Off road has red dye, even kerosene probably has it, and bio having a different color has to do with the oils used, as there are many sources, much of it is salvaged from cooking, and some is rendered. Diesel is a blend of oils(esters)meeting specifications for cetane rating, viscosity, cloud point and several other properties.

TGUNKEL Thanks this.
  10. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    As a fuel hauler, I load red dye sometimes. It's the same exact product as clear diesel, except heavy doses of potent red dye are injected into the loading arm at intervals. This is used for farm equipment, tractors and everything that runs on diesel that does not utilize public roads , so for example a generator. I think a reefer will probably be OK but check your company's policies.

11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    So the red dye diesel is also ultra low sulfur diesel and would in theory run perfectly in any engine. But if the DOT sticked your tank and found that red dye, you'd be well screwed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.