Series 60 overheating / underheating -- intermittently.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Accidental Trucker, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I have a 2001 series 60 that is driving me bonkers. Some days, the temp gauge will come up to temp, stay at 185 unless pulling a heavy load.

Other times, especially after pulling a hill, the gauge will become erratic. It'll read 170, but then the fan will come on, and it'll swing all the way to 220 and the overheat alarm comes on. Then it'll drop right back to 210, and usually keeps dropping down, sometimes staying at 200 or so, sometimes dropping as low as 150 before swinging back up -- in a matter of seconds.

Today, she ran perfect before lunch (dead heading home), but after lunch she ran at 170 -- for three hours straight. After a stop, she came up to 180, and stayed there.

Changed thermostats, twice, water pump and sensing unit. No changes. Some days she's predictable, some days she's all over the place.

Help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I'd verify that with an inferred temp gun. You may have a wiring issue int he temp sensor circuit. I've had to replace the harness plug ends on those before. Does your gauge run off the ECM, or does it have it's own sending unit?

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    We cleaned all the connections to the ECM and the sensing unit. Don't know if it has two or one; I believe it is one. When the gauge swings to overheat, the dash overheat alarms go off exactly at 225, so I'm assuming the same sensor feeds the ECM as the dash gauge.

Mechanic is going to go at it on Monday morning with the heat guns, he suspects a partial restriction somewhere. I'm wondering it a thermostat may be sticking in the housing, erratically.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'd verify the guage, if you can borrow somebodys scan guage - or similar that reads out of the ECM.

If the scan guage reads steady and OK, then chase the wiring from the ECM to the/and the dash guage.

Second thought - not a collapsing hose? Have it at temp and rev the engine for a while while examining hoses.

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I doubt it's the thermostats (my series 60 had 2)since you replaced them twice. Sounds more like a wiring issue to me. Specifically a ground. Temp sending units are simple circuits. As the temp changes, the resistance changes and the ecm displays the temp reading based on that resistance along with turning on or off the fan and warning system. If it's not getting a good ground then the computer isn't getting an accurate reading.

7. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Get a scangauge to see what the ECM actually sees

8. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I have the same year and motor and had the same problem a few months ago. My CAC, radiator and AC were covered in dirt, oil and filth. Mechanic took all of them out and cleaned. Just amazing difference.

9. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    Radiators were all taken loose and cleaned a month or two ago (external only). She cools better, but the goofy gauge readings didn't change. The fan comes on pretty much right at 210, even if the gauge reads 180, (or whatever), but I was told it works off a different circuit. Bottom hose was changed this year, probably should change the top hose, too, for good measure.

I'll have the mechanic plug in his reader to verify the temps, and chase the ground down again.

The strange part is that she'll often run normal, until pulling a hill, and after that she'll be erratic for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    The temp gauge should be easy to replace and cheap.

11. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Oh, and no need to check the ground. The metal frame of the sensor is the ground. Should be only one wire coming off

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.