Speeding up unload times

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by asphaltreptile311, Sep 25, 2016.

1. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Haven't hauled a reefer I'm new to trucking . I hear a lot of guys talking about unload times lasting a decade, is there any way to speed this up? Let's say someone has experience unloading and they don't hire a lumper could they save a little time? Pure rookie just seeking knowledge

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    There is no stopping the inevitable.

magoo68, fargonaz, Dharok and 3 others Thank this.
  4. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I doubt it.Then you will have to wait for them to count it anyway.it can be done if you only have one guy to "tip".

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HA. That's asking God to slow the earth so we can unload in no time at all. He he he.

Unloading.... ah the joys. /sarcastic.

Let's say this.

I have told suits that I am not moving one more box now. Dropping that trailer in 135 degree temps half unloaded and they can stuff it. Bobtailed back home. This is after about 10 hours back there broiling in the heat. Im surprised they did not fire me. They could. SHould.... Suit yelled.

I hate suits to this day. Sorry.

Dharok, Dominick253 and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I believe the secret to faster unload times is to get a job that pays by the hour. Murphy's law dictates that if you are getting paid to sit there, then someone will make sure you don't sit there long.

I'm telling you, now that I get paid hourly, I rarely sit in a dock more than an hour. Even the few grocery warehouses that I deliver to usually have me in and out within two hours.

When I go to smaller shippers/receivers with no appointment, and some otr guy pulls in right behind me, I will tell him to go ahead and get in front of me, I can wait. Driver then looks at me like I must be drunk or something lol.

x1Heavy, Dharok, Dominick253 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Some loads are cruel & unusual. They break the whole thing down, count it, and re-palletize it. When you get to Northeast PA or Chi town, those are heavy union places, and you can get jacked around for hours there, it will happen. God love you if you have no appointment or you are late. Not to mention OSD. ZOMG.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Amen on those ####### union places turn your 24,48 pallets into a 15 hour 98 pallet two inch thick bills of paper for everything little and great inside stinking place. You are literally doing what they wont. Breaking down to individual stores. All the picker driver does is grab that finish pallet, drive across to the store side and plop it into the trailer for that store. I got out of it thankfully.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I paid, well the company paid, $250 lumper fee for 4 pallets once in Chi town. I was just going wow. Took 'em like 10 minutes.

Dominick253 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And dispatch used to piss and moan for 70 dollars lumper.

How in the world did 70 become frigging 250 or 300 or god knows what? Was there a collective.. lobotomy issued to today's dispatcher?

RustyChops41 Thanks this.
  11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Politeley say" My boss told me to make sure you are aware,we start charging $200 an hour detention pay,2 hours after our scheduled appt time.

x1Heavy, Dharok and BigPerm Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.